Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > true's Resident Evil: Code Veronica X review

This thread is in response to a review for Resident Evil: Code Veronica X on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: March 02, 2009 (04:58 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hm, I don't think this game can be said to be personally responsible for RE4. And I found your talk of emo strange. I also recall Claire spent lots of RE2 being all motherly towards a kid. I don't recall being struck by some extreme personality change in this episode. On the other hand, I do remember the boss fight. And I know some people put the game down at that point.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: draculasrevenge
Posted: March 02, 2009 (07:52 PM)

I can't think of anything I could care less about than the story of a Resident Evil game.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: March 03, 2009 (02:18 AM)

I suppose it could go either way, but only Capcom knows for sure on what caused the re-vamp. Had it not been at least somewhat succesful, I don't think they would have moved it from the Dreamcast to Playstation. But logically, Veronica was the last "true" sequel in the line before 4. If it was popular and it worked, why would they opt to completely restructure the entire premise?

As far as Claire goes, I can't recall one time in 2 where she needed to be rescued, and in Veronica I can count four. There's a difference between being protective/motherly as she was in her original appearance, as opposed to timid and insecure as she was in Veronica.

You can be compassionate and still be bad ass. Look at Degeneration for example. Claire takes it upon herself to watch over yet another young girl and keep her from harm. When that girl is knocked down and surrounded by zombies, Claire jumps down to shield her. She cowers at first, and had it been Veronica Claire, she probably would have scooted back and waited for Leon to save her. Instead, he tosses his gun down to her, she spin kicks one zombie in the head, then buries bullets in the rest. That was the Claire I liked--compassionate yet fierce.

In the end, I guess the point I was just trying to make was that they did a really good job with her in 2, and they lost it--as they did most things--in Veronica.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: March 03, 2009 (05:01 PM)

"as opposed to timid and insecure as she was in Veronica."

Jesus, did you not watch the intro FMV?

"And well after we’re in the air and there’s no possible escape route, pit me against a massive, clawed monster in a tiny room that can kill me with one hit"

You had an item box, a type writer, and a cutscene that suggested something was about to go down.

"“collect five things strewn all about the island before a simple door will open” structure this game has"

That's also the structure of every other Resident Evil game.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: March 04, 2009 (02:42 AM)

Jesus, did you not watch the intro FMV?

Jesus, did you Jesus read the part where I Jesus mentioned the cutscene Jesus in my review? Call me crazy, and I don't think I'm the only one, but I don't base a character on the introductory cutscene. If we did that, we would all believe that Snake is just old for no cause, Shinra is the ultimate bad-guy and Aries is unstoppable. My opinion on Claire is derived from the entire game, not just that one scene in which--yes--she did kick "some" ass.

You had an item box, a type writer, and a cutscene that suggested something was about to go down.

What are you going to do? Huck the typewriter at him? The item box is useful, yes, if you're the player who drops a zombie with one shot, then runs up and hacks at him with your knife to conserve ammo. I shoot shit. I blow shit up. I went into that boss fight with very little ammo because--and I left this out for the sake of spoilers--I had to fight him all the way to the plane, and in one section I couldn't get passed him until he was unconscious. And I made the fatal mistake of using that typewriter which was so conviently placed to save the game in only one slot, and had no option but to start over. There was no way out for me, and probably a lot of other gamers like me who don't read ahead in the hint book and plan for such an event.

That's also the structure of every other Resident Evil game.

Again, you're taking what I say out of context. Not once in the review did I ever state Veronica was the first to impliment such a structure. I don't even find this idea--in itself--a problem. My issue is quite possibly having to endure it for a second time, because of the reasons mentioned above. Doing it once is mildly irritating. Doing it twice is downright grating.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: March 04, 2009 (07:01 AM)

Ok, yeah, being completely out of ammo would change things.

I had a similar impression to yours after replaying CV after several years. But there are better examples you could use of the game being unfair. For example, there's a boss fight near the end of the game against Steve that is literally impossible unless you have like, 4 first aid sprays in your inventory.

But I still have an overall positive view of the game. I think maybe it's because I played more cautiously than you, (isn't that how all RE games are meant to be played?) conserving ammo and health items throughout.

Part of your frustration with the game seems to be your not being properly prepared. Maybe you might like it more if you tried it again (and skipped all the cutscenes)? Now you'll know to take the empty fire extinguisher with you to get the magnum ;). The knife is very useful. Use it against zombies.

I don't think the return to the island as Chris is "rehashed garbage" because you get to see a lot of new areas. Didn't the first RE do the same thing?

I wouldn't fault it for not being scary. I think there were several disturbing things, like the torture chambers in the prison.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.