Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Street Fighter IV review

This thread is in response to a review for Street Fighter IV on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 27, 2009 (11:43 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Being what that I watch a decent amount of free MMA shows, I've seen some lengthy commercials for this game. It looks really cool and your review doesn't change my mind one bit. Very nice review that shows a great feel for saying what needs to be said in as few words as possible. This is the sort of game that I feel a person could easily eat up 8-10-or more KBs talking about, so to keep it as short as you did while giving a good endorsement of it says a lot.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 27, 2009 (11:54 PM)

Yeah, there was a lot of stuff I wouldn't have minded talking about in more detail... a bunch of things the developer got just right and a few things that weren't all that hot. I went longer than I wanted to as things were, though, so I figured I'd go with what I had and rely on the reader to fill in any blanks. I hit the highlights, at any rate. Someone who cares about the other stuff has probably already bought the game and is just nitpicking. ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 28, 2009 (12:20 AM)

This is a great review, Jason. I really like how you use the Seth character as a gimmick throughout. It keeps things moving and provides a nice framework for you to talk about the good and bad aspects of the game.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: February 28, 2009 (12:38 AM)

I've fought enough Street Fighter bosses to understand your pain in dealing with Seth. Unfortunately, reading this review makes me not want the game anymore. The part about needing to perform special finishes while undefeated to unlock characters is the kind of thing I know would really annoy me, if Seth is anywhere near as difficult as I'm imagining.

I'll probably rent it while it's new and fresh, because I'm still curious about how it plays. I know you're really passionate about the game -- it just didn't come across in the review as much as in your blog.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 28, 2009 (03:03 AM)

The blog entry I wrote was the initial start to my review, but I felt like it was talking too much about me and not enough about the game (especially when I wanted to keep things short and had so much to cover). It's always tough to know how to set up the framework for a review of a game like this, but I'm still pretty happy with the end result and I figured posting the original intro for my blog entry couldn't hurt!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: February 28, 2009 (04:55 AM)

This is one of those games that almost makes me want to buy a new generation console.

Still, I find it hard to believe that Seth character is any cheaper then the famed SNK bosses. Hell, there's even the name "SNK boss syndrome" for them.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: February 28, 2009 (09:32 PM)

I must be the only guy on Earth who has never had a problem with Seth.

Maybe I'm just good at the game? Who knows.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 02, 2009 (07:40 AM)

Well done, Jason. Seth does indeed suck.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: March 02, 2009 (06:34 PM)

Something that I didn't mention in the review is that my preference for a boss in Street Fighter would be that he possess mostly new moves... or all new ones. I'm sick of fighting game bosses that basically just gather tough moves from other competitors in the game and use those. One thing I always liked about M. Bison back in the day--even though I also liked to curse his name--was that he had an original set of moves with which to kick my butt. Anyway, I'm glad that people are finding this review useful and seeing fit to leave feedback. :-)

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 02, 2009 (09:47 PM)

Excellent point about M. Bison. I think as far as fighting games go, it was Mortal Kombat which had the best bosses. I remember being terrified the first time I encountered Goro. And then, after finally beating him, Shang Tsung handed my ASS to me. I HATE THAT MOTHER FU--ER.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: jiggs
Posted: March 03, 2009 (09:27 PM)

that's the problem with Seth. he's kinda generic...both in character design and that he's basically a Dural knock-off who can emulate the moves of the World Warriors well, some of them anyway. from what i've seen, he's got moves from Dhalsim, Ryu, Chun-Li, Zangief synthesized into one. his vacuum-grab move is kinda annoying at first but can easily be avoided. took me about 5 or 6 tries to beat him....on medium. i don't think i would want to waste my time trying to beat him on harder difficulty because he's not cool enough. other than that, i think game is fun but feels a tad clunky compared to the older games. i like the revenge meter though. it makes the matches a little more unpredictable and exciting.

!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.