Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JANUS2's Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection review

This thread is in response to a review for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 26, 2009 (08:45 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was an interesting review, considering it's a compilation. Though I have no idea how being developed and produced by Shiny/Virgin (Playmates in the US) has to do with Earthworm Jim's lack of appearance on the collection.

I will say, though, that this gives you a remarkable opportunity to write reviews. You should review all the titles on that disk individually to make up for the swathe you deleted some time ago. =P

(Naturally, I realize that games in this more "modern" format might be altered (somewhat) from the original and thus might alter the outcome of a review, as with how you describe Shinobi III, I think, unless that's how it was on the original Genesis, too).

In any case, I'm glad you discovered new things with this. Of course, I'll always prefer ROMming, but.... >_>

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: February 27, 2009 (01:13 AM)

Hey, thanks for the comments. All the games on the collection are developed or published by Sega (as far as I know), which explains Earthworm Jim's omission. Shinobi III was like that on the Genesis, but it's still an excellent game. And the compilation vs. ROM argument is a non-starter. I don't think there's any way to convince people to pick collections over downloads (other than fining them or something). This is more a review for people who were thinking about getting the compilation anyway.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 27, 2009 (07:02 AM)

I really liked this review, Janus. Had a stream-of-consciousness like feel to it that worked well for discussing the compilation. I just picked this disc up and I know what you mean about the smoothing. I've actually used it on several emulators (where they call it an eagle filter or some such nonsense) and it seems hit or miss depending on the game.

I was also annoyed at Revenge of Shinobi's exclusion; I get that we're getting a 'snapshot' of the times, but it makes little sense to include Shinobi and Shinobi III, and not the second game in the true Genesis series, which, by all accounts, was a huge success upon its release. Certainly it had more personality than Shinobi III, despite the terrible double jump mechanics.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 27, 2009 (11:42 AM)

I liked the review, as well. Especially how you spent a decent amount of time focusing on a lesser title (Alien Storm) that, as you said, would likely be looked at as sub-par by many gamers. That's a nice technique: people expect games like Sonic, Golden Axe, etc. to be on a Genesis collection, so by talking about a less-known game, it gives this review a nice touch.

Oh, I'd pick Zig as the guy bemoaning the snubbing of Wardner on a future compilation. Don't know why....just a gut feeling.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Synonymous
Posted: February 27, 2009 (12:51 PM)

I'll add to the compliments. The review struck an informative balance between expounding on the virtues of compilations in general and the flaws and highlights of this specific effort, both in comparison to the original games and to other such compilations. Very nice.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: February 27, 2009 (02:27 PM)

*I* liked Wardner quite a bit, despite it's obvious shortcomings. By why take my word for it? Why not see what this guy has to say about it. =D

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 27, 2009 (02:35 PM)

Shhh.....

I'm thinking about sneakily using Janus' name-dropping of Wardner combined with mine to set up my own Wardner review in the near future (ie: the next couple of weeks). Too many mentions of the game (as well as links to existing reviews of it) will damage my attempts at subterfuge.....as will me spelling out my plans to everyone, but let's not think of that.....

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: February 27, 2009 (03:56 PM)

I like that this compilation omits Revenge of Shinobi and includes the orginal arcade Shinobi. Whoever put this collection together has good taste. They should've included Shadow Dancer for the Genesis, though.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: February 27, 2009 (07:23 PM)

They should've included Shadow Dancer for the arcade!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: February 28, 2009 (02:03 AM)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think we should have a Wardner review contest judged by Masters. Or not. I believe that Revenge of Shinobi was excluded for copyright reasons, but I agree that its omission is the most glaring in light of Shinobi III's appearance.

Now all we need is a Saturn compilation!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.