Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > RecentElectronics's Lost Odyssey review

This thread is in response to a review for Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 22, 2009 (03:09 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There’s a lot of issues with this review, issues that would normally not see it posted on site that I had to clear up. My time is short right now so if I come off as blunt, I apologise in advance.

In-review pictures: If you want to post pictures in the body of your review, then you’re more than welcome to. However, you need to make sure they’re no bigger than 600px wide otherwise you screw up the site’s boarders. You also need to make sure they’re not watermarked by other sites, and that you’ve not directly linked them from said sites and are therefore stealing bandwidth. You need to either ask us to host them ourselves, use something like a photo bucket account or not bother at all. I’ll stress the watermark issue again because it’s important. Clean images only.

In the case of this one, I did all of this for you on the last two pics. We don’t have the time to do this with every review that gets submitted, but I don’t mind helping people out as they learn the ropes. I could do nothing with the first picture as you‘ve mislinked it, putting the URL of the upload page rather than the hosting one.

You’ll need to delete the blurb lines at the end of the review. No one is interested in the review’s version history or were it might be hosted elsewhere; they’ve clicked on the review to learn about the game, not to learn about you. If you want your real name to be associated with your reviews, then that’s the name you should be using as your username. I’m not keen to start editing people’s review without their say so, so I’m going to have to ask you to delete that part off your own back and not include them in future submissions. This holds true for the other reviews that have since been accepted onto site.

The review has a lot of basic problems in it that effect your credibility. For one, the intro about your previous reviews is completely irrelevant because, as we are a new audience, we have no idea what you’re referencing to, the same goes for when you start mentioning people like we should all already know who you’re talking about. I personally disagree with a lot of what you say (Final Fantasy being top notch at storytelling after the abortion that was FF12, Kingdom Hearts being a game everyone should own, etc. Hell, I loved Lost Odyssey, so we’re opposite ends of the fence right there) but the way you attack the game at points is ludicrous and very easy to poke holes in. You even state factually incorrect information at points which becomes all the clearer when you state at numerous times that you never finished the game. As soon as you say this any reader interested in finding out about the title will have already hit the back button and will be looking for someone who sounds like they actually played more than the game’s first disk.

There’s a lot of opinion in this review, but very, very little in the way of actually backing it up. You just say “This game is awful!”, throw in a few lines that you (often incorrectly) think sound funny, even if they’re completely untrue (such as lava being the cause of amnesia) and expect it to be enough. So long as you’re happy in something that’s not really a review and something that no one’s going to take seriously, then, I suppose it is.

The feedback is probably more harsh sounding than it's supposed to be. Take it in, or ignore it. Your call.

Welcome to the site!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 22, 2009 (04:27 PM)

Funny review, but perhaps its trolling nature would be better suited to GameFAQs, where people will really get worked up over it? Most us here are mature enough to go "haha lol" and then never take you seriously again.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: February 22, 2009 (04:39 PM)

Who's this Devon character? He wouldn't happen to be similar to my friend Mame Johnson would he?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 22, 2009 (10:44 PM)

To mirror everything EmP already said: Not funny, not informative, immature, makes references to things we have no way of knowing, was posted here after being written somewhere else mostly as an attempt to raise the author's publicity, terrible review.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: February 25, 2009 (01:31 AM)

So long as you’re happy in something that’s not really a review and something that no one’s going to take seriously, then, I suppose it is.

Not to be cruel but the same could be said about the site that he's put at the end of all three of his reviews.

I wouldn't even mention it, but this seems to be more of a "Hey. This place is popular. I'll put up my reviews with a link to my original site and hopefully steer people there", rather than an attempt at putting up reviews for the sake of Honest Gamers.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: Daisuke02
Posted: February 25, 2009 (09:19 AM)

I always like to believe that there are ways besides fuck and shit to say that something isn't good. And I say fuck and shit an awful lot.

As for the "funny review" bit... nope. Tries a bit too hard to make us laugh.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.