Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > General Chatter > How did YOU find HG? v3

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 21, 2009 (01:03 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I like to make this topic every few years due to forum uprooting. So, here we are again!

My story is pretty dull. When the GFAQs scene fell apart, I was just starting to write and was one of the guys trying to hold RotD together. I started cross-posting my work and, shortly after I got fed up with RotDing, completly left FAQs behind and became exclusive here. Shortly after this, Jason begged me to rock staff, and this I did like a fool. I've been rocking it ever since.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 21, 2009 (01:31 PM)

Nonsense. One of these topics was around only a few months ago.

Mine's even duller! Since it just involves an AIM convo:

EmP: Join HG! *linklinklink*

Me: OK

Two years of inactivity and here we are.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: February 21, 2009 (01:47 PM)

I also came from the GameFAQs Review Contributor Board when it died out in 2004.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 21, 2009 (01:56 PM)

When Jason Venter's agents managed to kill off the GameFAQs Reviewing Scene in 2004, he was well placed to offer us refuge and sanctuary. He'd been spamming HonestGamers for some time, but not all of us had made the move across. But then it seemed like our only real option in the end. And once Venter had us here, all his original agents (staff members) disappeared, so they couldn't be traced back to the devious work they'd done to undo the RC board. Venter made a bunch of people staff members, and I ported over a few reviews, wrote a few more, then became dormant for a few years pretty much just judging tournaments.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: February 21, 2009 (02:20 PM)

There aren't many ex-GameFAQs people left these days. Jerec, Zigfried, Bloomer, Masters, Drella, genj.... Emp, bluberry and Jason Venter from a little later on.

Come to think of it, that is quite a few after 5 years.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 21, 2009 (02:52 PM)

Jason Venter found my Metal Gear Solid 4 review (and presumably all the criticism of it for not being "fanboyish" enough: They do have a point about Dirge of Cerberus, perhaps.) and invited me to join HG. I believe he invited me from Devil's Lair, though I can't remember, now. Then I wrote a bunch of crap until my Mirror's Edge review, which landed me a freelance position.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: February 21, 2009 (02:58 PM)

Like most of the others, I found out about this site at the GameFAQs Review Contributor board, back when hilarious amounts of drama used to occur on almost a daily basis. It was right at the end of 2003, and I ended up lurking for the next few months. I finally joined somewhere at the beginning of 2004.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 21, 2009 (03:04 PM)

Suskie was from Gamefaqs, too.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: February 21, 2009 (03:09 PM)

I do miss the RC board a little bit. Especially whelkman.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 21, 2009 (04:14 PM)

There aren't many ex-GameFAQs people left these days. Jerec, Zigfried, Bloomer, Masters, Drella, genj.... Emp, bluberry and Jason Venter from a little later on.

Never forget Overdrive. Never. Hell, I'm prolific over there. I think I still am, at least. Some day I'll care enough again to check that out.....

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: February 21, 2009 (05:19 PM)

I found a link to HG on Nick Evil's web site, and from there I registered this account. That was around 2004.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: February 22, 2009 (12:51 AM)

Genuinely didn't know about the GAFQs link until now.

Atfer an extended hiatus from games writing, spent chasing bands around the country for interviews and writing about albums I had precisely no interest in, I Googled for some decent games sites to offer my services to.

This was one of them. I was accepted into this crazy world.

This isn't very long ago compared to most of you lot.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: disco1960
Posted: February 22, 2009 (01:36 AM)

Uh... crap, I forget. Did I click a popup?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than ApplyForAcardToday requested its removal.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 22, 2009 (01:41 AM)

Was recruited for TT, found subsequent success.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: jiggs
Posted: February 22, 2009 (07:15 PM)

from jason venter spamming the link on yahoo game room chat. =P

!

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: February 23, 2009 (12:17 AM)

As always, I blame EmP.

The actual story behind how I joined HG is hidden deep within my blog archives if anybody cares enough to look it up. If not, visit the entry for Genesis Rising.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: February 23, 2009 (07:01 AM)

From GameFAQs people telling me to come here if I wanted to improve my reviews.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: February 23, 2009 (10:11 AM)

EmP nagged me to join like he did to half of the reviewers on the roll.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 23, 2009 (01:21 PM)

Well, you've been here longer than me, Lewis! I think I'm still the newest freelancer.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: goatx3
Posted: March 10, 2009 (11:06 PM)

my story is awesome but i feel like i've told it too many times. sorry.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: March 11, 2009 (04:48 AM)

I was happy to duplicate my reviews from gamefaqs here when Jason asked, but after that I don't think I did anything on HG for about three years. This was simply because I'd stopped reviewing during that time.

When I did start writing some more reviews, it was just natural to get a bit more involved and enjoy the HG site, especially since the reviewing community at gamefaqs had shrunk to almost non-existence during that time.

board icon
Author: elit3gam3r
Posted: March 22, 2009 (01:07 PM)

i found this site have a little community or much better is that there are no active users here in this Honest Gamers site. Because i can't find anyone who i can talk to about in some mmorpgs or some things that can catch my interest.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than VanosDPR requested its removal.

board icon
Author: Calvin
Posted: March 27, 2009 (08:15 AM)

I managed to ignore it for a while but peer pressure got the best of me and so now I check in once every 5 months or so.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.