Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week: February 8-14, 2009

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: February 15, 2009 (08:27 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There was a nice collection of reviews this week. Unfortunately I can only select three unique authors. Let’s see how things turned out!

And, as always, only one review per user may be ranked in a Review of the Week topic. Staff reviews are forsaken.

2nd Runner Up: Silent Hill Origins (PS2) by m0zart

Silent Hill reviews always catch my eye because the series has such a reputation for the fear that it conjures in every (good) installment. M0zart begins this review with a lamentation elaborating on the downfall of the series. While we’ve seen similar introductions for Silent Hill reviews in the past, m0zart continues by cutting through the gloom and giving the reader a nice, in-depth look at how Silent Hill Origins will appeal to fans of what made the franchise so unique in the first place. The real does tend to drag a ways through, but the information is good. This is a solid review for anyone interested in Silent Hill Origins, or the series in general.

1st Runner Up: Crackdown (X360) by pickhut

Pickhut gives us a vicarious Crackdown experience through his slick, interesting writing. It sounds like a goofy, farfetched action game, but it also sounds like a mindlessly absorbing title that could sap away hours of your life if you get into it. There are plenty of descriptions as to why this game rocks and Grand Theft Auto doesn’t. I still like GTA, or at least GTA 4 a bunch, but this sounds like a worthwhile substitute for those with spare time and little spare coin. Now, I must admit something. It may just be me, but I think pickhut is a giant pepperoni pizza. Don’t ask me why I think this is true. I just know that it is. Pickhut, you are soo gooey.

Review of the Week: Tonic Trouble (N64) by Suskie

It’s nice to see Suskie back in the writing fold, and he graced this week with not one but two excellent reviews. His Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia was a pretty solid read with some good observations. His Tonic Trouble review, on the other hand, was far more interesting to me personally, because it covered a game I had totally forgotten about. No, Tonic Trouble isn’t a good game, and Suskie clearly explains why it fails. But I can recall back in the day reading issues of Nintendo Power and thinking that this game looked kind of interesting. Then years past, I totally forgot about TT, and that was that. Until this review came forward and reminded me of that silly looking purple protagonist named Ed. The writing is fresh and even funny in parts. All in all this is a very interesting review because the subject matter isn’t tired, and you can tell Suskie had fun penning it. Just because Tonic Trouble may be a relatively pointless game doesn’t mean it isn’t worth reading about, and to ensure that it does get its 15 minutes of fame, I’m awarding it to the win. It deserves it.

EmP’s up next, so give him a ton to read!

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: February 15, 2009 (12:01 PM)

Interestingly, I ate pizza about a day ago. It didn't have pepperoni.

Thanks for the kind words and comments, and congrats to Suskie for his RotW placing. Good job to m0zart, too.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 15, 2009 (12:29 PM)

Glad you liked it. Thanks a lot for the win, and congrats to Pickhut and m0zart for their placements as well.

Edit: Soon I will review another N64 game you've probably forgotten about. But this one doesn't suck. In fact, it's awesome.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: February 25, 2009 (05:30 PM)

Okay, so apparently I'm supposed to specifically request for my 1000 points. So that's what I'm doing.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: February 26, 2009 (03:48 AM)

Done.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Posted: February 26, 2009 (05:13 AM)

Thank you, good sir.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.