Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Castlequest review

This thread is in response to a review for Castlequest on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: February 13, 2009 (05:45 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm sorry Rob, but not that sorry.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 14, 2009 (01:41 AM)

Screenshots suggest this game is a pretty blatant ripoff of Montezuma's Revenge, but apparently not any good.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: February 14, 2009 (03:40 AM)

I concur. I recommend a round or two of Montezuma's Revenge to wash away the bad taste of this game.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 15, 2009 (11:25 AM)

I would probably agree with the Montezuma's Revenge comparison. They really took out the goodness of that game here. You can fall any distance without getting hurt. That makes the main "puzzle-solving" the trial and error of using keys in the right doors without wasting any of them. With there also occasionally being instances where you have to move blocks. The rest of the "puzzles" involve you using your horrible-controlling character to move really quick so barrels, boxes, etc. on conveyor belts don't block your path....knowing you'll die if you fail because of how anything on a conveyor belt automatically is fatal to the touch.

Really, the only good thing about this game is that once an enemy is disposed of, it stays dead, so if you find yourself backtracking, you at least don't have to worry about getting killed that way.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: May 29, 2009 (09:11 AM)

Very funny review. I enjoyed the disclaimer and description of bizarre, hilarious deaths.

But I believe that CastleQuest actually a decent game, if you like puzzlers. The maze is interesting to look through, if you like mazes, and there's more than one way through. But the controls are certainly horrendous, there are stupid delays with those dumb elevators and such, and just reading your review gave me a flashback to the sound effects.

I do think a big problem with the game was that it does rely on finding that first green key, but on the other hand, how many times have we played an RPG where there's a cool area we see right away but can't reach? Maybe you need the right mindset to have the patience to find a green key to open the green door. Though, ironically, opening that green door at the start is a horrendous move.

Once you get beyond the controls, you won't die nearly as frequently, though, and you can open up some legitimately interesting puzzles. I remember a discussion with Masters about how we each found the other's genre horridly impossible(me puzzlers, him shooters) and something along the same line happened here. For me, puzzlers with mediocre controls are okay if you don't mind optimizing your controls as part of the puzzle.

In Castlequest's case, I think you have to be interested in various things such as how to get the map just above where you start, which you can't jump to immediately. Figuring how to drop in on it was a nice first challenge.

So, I laughed at a lot of stuff that I'd put aside as stuff I can figure by trial and error, but I may rewrite my current review and post to GameFAQs in response to the 1/10, because I feel CQ is at least a 3 or 4. Maybe even a 5!

However, I don't blame anyone for being impatient enough to assign it a 1. As an original game in a cartridge, and without save states, it would be an exasperating abomination where controls got in the way of puzzles.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.