Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Tonic Trouble review

This thread is in response to a review for Tonic Trouble on the Nintendo 64. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 13, 2009 (02:36 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This one I actually have some general criticism for.

First of all, it's great review. Silly and functional at the same time. However, I've noticed in most of your reviews that you set an odd pace. The reviews are sprinkled with hilarious lines such as:

"My dissatisfaction with Ed as a character deserves mention because his very presence in Tonic Trouble makes the game an emasculating experience, almost as if I could feel my genitals being slowly absorbed into my pelvis as I played. "

But these are often broken up by actual serious reviewing. Not that that's particularly bad, because both segments are done well. It does lead, however, to a strange method of reading on the audience's part. Since you usually start us out with a few paragraphs of nothing but funny, by the time we get to the reviewing aspect, it's hard to make the switch. The difficulty you face is writing reviews which stay funny throughout, while still being relevant.

Right now I get this weird thing when I come to the non-funny parts that leaves me unfocused in the overall reading.

A very specific criticism, I know. But you've reached that point where your stuff is good enough that you can start tightening all the screws.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 13, 2009 (03:56 PM)

Yeah, you're right, and it's just something I'll get better with over time. I don't write many bash reviews, and the trouble is that, while it can be easy to make cracks about a very blatantly bad game, you've still got to review it, provide the relevant information needed to sell your point. I could probably write an entire essay on why Ed is the worst character in video game history, but there's more to the game than that.

So, in response to your comments, I'll try to, uh, be more consistently funny next time.

Edit: In my defense, I wrote this at 4 in the morning.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: February 13, 2009 (05:41 PM)

Does this review make it HG 9, Felix 3?

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 13, 2009 (09:14 PM)

...Oh! Yeah, something like that.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.