Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Non-controversial (sweet jebus, I hope) 2/1/09 to 2/7/09 edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 09, 2009 (04:05 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Welcome to my nightmare — aka: the task of trying to make coherent comments on reviews and whatnot (a) after a long day and (b) while working feverishly towards taking the edge off said long day BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY. Back in the day, the Grateful Dead were known for just riding the waves of whatever substances they were on while doing concerts, leading them to go off on extended tripped-out periods of instrumentation. If I do the writing version of that here, going off on extended tangents and just trailing away and/or forgetting to actual name a RotW, don't blame me --- blame my place of occupation or society or whatever gets you through the night....

Like usual, there are rules that this site function follows. They will be adhered to. And that's that.

We had a bit of a light week with four people combining for seven reviews, to be expected right after a tournament (with a couple of the reviews being written for said tournament). After putting your hearts and souls into impressing three judges, it's quite understandable that people would want to take a few days off to collect their thoughts. I didn't, though, jumping right back into the mix with this one, which you should all read (or read again, if you've already done so). That's why I consider myself a role model for all of you.

Anyway, while I'm sure I could continue to praise myself for an infinite number of pages, while each and every one of you clung to every last word like holy scripture, I do have things to do, so let's get onto the reviews!

THIRD PLACE: Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure (PC) by darketernal

This review really could have used two things: (1) vigorous proofreading and (2) a bit more fleshing out. Right from the beginning, you had me at a standstill as this ("One could see Grobbos, bipedal elephants wearing trousers were often seen laughing over a pint of beer with the human – looking Quetches, it seemed like the peace would never be shattered.") reads very awkwardly. As for the contest of the review, you make the game sound very interesting, but I think I'd like a bit more detail on how things work in its world outside of the mode system. Twinsen apparently becomes this heroic figure, but all I know about him is that he can punch stuff, sneak around stuff, run and do side missions. This review gets stuck in third mainly because it didn't make me want to play the game (like a 9/10 should), but instead made me want to know more about why you liked it so well.

SECOND PLACE: Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis) by goldenvortex

Reading this review made me think about the Brevity or Bust competition we run here from time to time and how much I hate it. I kinda take a freestyle approach to my writing, where I have thoughts in my head and I type them onto my text document and then submit it. Being confined to a certain word limit goes against that style of writing and I'm a really stubborn person who likes to do things HIS WAY, so I tend to just review an Atari 2600 game or very simplistic 8-bit one and wind up placing really low in the contest with all sorts of mean, hateful comments that make me sad. Or if I try to play within the spirit of the contest, I get "back of the box" comments, which also make me sad. And that's why I like and respect this review. When the Brevity or Bust comes around, I gather this is the sort of review the judges would want to see, as opposed to whatever I crap out for it. While I haven't played this game, I have played the first SMS one and I could relate to everything you said. It's a refreshing game as far as visuals and the way you advance through levels.....but by the end of the game, the pure repetition becomes a drag. Also, the limited nature of those purchased weapons, combined with the weakness of your regular one, can make parts of the game drag on. In only a handful of paragraphs, you did a very good job of summing this game up.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Shadow Madness (PSX) by threetimes

As someone who played Shadow Madness, reviewed it about five years ago and HATED everything but the storytelling, I have to admit your review didn't change my mind about anything. However, you did make me want to look and see if anyone transcribed the game's script online. You did well to focus on the one thing I felt the game did well and did cause me to remember that I did like the characters and the way the plot unfolded. And if the gameplay and stuff didn't bother you as much as it did me, that's more power to you, as it means you were able to get more enjoyment out of playing this game than I did. Very good review, I thought.

And before I go, just to mention our fourth contestant this week, good to see new blood here, G_Dub. If you're looking for advice on reviewing and whatnot, the first piece I'd give is that sectioned reviews really aren't used here, as pretty much everyone uses an essay style. As someone who started out with sectioned before going to essay, it isn't the easiest thing to do to switch over, but there are a number of good writers here, so you have plenty of resources to read in order to see how people work to tie all the relevant information together without separating it into sections.

And that's that. See you whenever it's my next week to do this!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: February 09, 2009 (11:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks! I read your review of it, and it's easy to damn the game to hell on the basis of the gameplay. A major failing in something that's supposed to be a game. And yes, there is script online...that's why I appreciate it so much. Strange game really, and one I never got bored playing. By the way, I might have to challenge your view of Metal Saga next. ;)

Don't panic!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.