Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > threetimes's The Fifth Element review

This thread is in response to a review for The Fifth Element on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 09, 2009 (02:56 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, I quite enjoyed this in its imperfect Playstationy way when I tried it back in the early 2000s. The only reason I stopped playing was I got totally stuck at one part (couldn't work out what to do / where to go) and no-one had written a walkthrough back then. I see you wrote one a few years later! Well, if I get back to playing games, I might bust this one out, confident I can get unstuck if it happens again.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: February 09, 2009 (06:31 AM)

Yeah, I've probably played this more than any one else on the planet. I loved it, imperfections and all.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 09, 2009 (11:49 AM)

You have the basics for a good bash review here, but the form isn't really together yet, and you haven't found your style. For instance, to tear apart this last paragraph...

"All in all it is fun IF you are very tolerant of an incoherent story, poor graphics, simplistic combat and long levels. However the music is good on the whole, and sometimes eerily appropriate with slow and haunting sparse melodies. It also features the wonderful operatic singing that is heard in the film. And you get to see Zorg again for about two seconds. And finally, if for any reason you have a grudge against New York cops and green aliens, you might enjoy killing a few."

This is a very odd way to end a review. You start with a good solid point: this game has little going for it. Then you try to back track and point out some random good things, but it doesn't really fit. If you wanted to talk about music, you should've done so earlier.

Better would be to combine the first and last sentences into a concluding bash, like so:

Fifth Element suffers from a number of incurable maladies, including an incoherent story, poor graphics, simplistic combat, and long levels. You might enjoy it, anyway, if for any reason you have a grudge against New York cops and green aliens.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 09, 2009 (06:23 PM)

Trouble with those ideas is, he likes the game :)

I think the target is the difficult 'I like this even though I can see 1000 things wrong with it' review, with the corresponding 5 or 6 score. The review certainly goes that way, but could probably use some improvements.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 09, 2009 (11:05 PM)

Yeah, if THAT'S the case, then there's all sorts of bad confusion here. Sorry to say it, True, but it could use a rewrite.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 09, 2009 (11:37 PM)

Trouble with those ideas is, she likes the game :)

Yep. That's true. :D. I liked the game despite all the ridiculous things. I wrote the review a while ago, and though I edited it a bit, seeing it posted here made me realise all the things I'd left out. I don't give any examples of the missions or what's involved, and the tone is confused: hence that conclusion, trying to redeem something. If I'd not seen the film I wouldn't have given it the time of day, so maybe that's the crux of it.

Don't panic!

board icon
Posted: February 10, 2009 (12:11 AM)

Sorry :) Uch, you know what's weird? I had a premonition about that. Seriously, after I typed my last message, I thought 'I don't if threetimes is male or female.' Weeeell, I should have acted on my premonition, dagnabbit!

board icon
Posted: February 10, 2009 (12:46 AM)

I meant Three times, not true... sorry :P

board icon
Posted: February 11, 2009 (10:33 PM)

Awww ;) Apologies are unnecessary. I've redrafted the review, and maybe will get around to updating it. Thanks for the comments though.

Don't panic!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.