Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > willthegreat's Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in The Sarien Encounter (VGA Remake) review

This thread is in response to a review for Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in The Sarien Encounter (VGA Remake) on the Miscellaneous. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: mrmiyamoto
Posted: February 01, 2009 (11:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Heh. Humorous review here. I'll admit that I've never heard of the game, just like you speculated in the review, but I came away curiously intrigued. From the screenshots, it looks like it has some zany text that, if nothing else, mindlessly entertains. Well done.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

*Oscar Wilde*

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: February 01, 2009 (11:59 PM)

Being as old as it is, it does require an emulator like DOSBox to run on today's PCs. I could probably hook you up if you'd like to give it a go.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or you're masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 02, 2009 (08:37 PM)

Zany review, but seriously Will... if you consider this to be the best thing you've ever written, then you've got a long ways to go. Half of your humour relies on the in-game writing via your pictures. You also don't really explain your 10/10 except to insinuate that funny stuff is golden.

A fun review, don't get me wrong, but stop whining about having lost the ROTW.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 03, 2009 (12:02 AM)

Two posts and a blog entry hardly constitute whining. It'd be whining if I made a topic demanding the other staff overturn an internet contest.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 03, 2009 (03:06 AM)

Ha ha ha, true ^_^

Alright, then... stop being so... will the greatish ^_^

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 03, 2009 (03:31 AM)

I'm afraid the ego is part of the moniker, my good zippy.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: February 03, 2009 (10:19 AM)

If you're going to give a game a 10 it might as well be the original Space Quest, VGA remade or otherwise. This brings back memories by the bucketful.

''Yes, yes...but apart from all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?''

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 03, 2009 (08:39 PM)

Yeah... bad memories!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 04, 2009 (11:16 PM)

Seriously? I grew up on PC gaming and Sierra's adventures were a major part of it. I lagged behind on my old DOS rig for years while everybody else started using Windows. I don't know what I would have done but for Space Quest, King's Quest III and heaven forbid, the Black Cauldron.

board icon
Posted: February 05, 2009 (01:08 AM)

Laugh... for me, when Sierra brought out King's Quest, and then all the other quests, that was the beginning of a quality nosedive of adventure games. And I know that's an early call to make, but I am 33 and lived through all this.

When I was little, Sierra's adventures had a graphics window and you typed your commands, looking out of your eyes. The puzzles weren't arbitrary, either. Then KQ came out for the Apple II (which I had) and the PC (which was in its uber-primitive infancy.) That was the beginning of the 'you move around the screen but also type commands' model. I can't stand how they used it. All the ridiculous deaths, stupid stuff like you could fall to your death by stepping a pixel off course... To me, Police Quest is a game which does absolutely nothing but test your ability to read the game's manual and adhere to it.

Relatively speaking, I have the least anger towards King's Quest (probably 'cos it was pretty traditional) and KQ III, which I found kind of charming and funny. But this is, basically, a whole area of gaming I can't stand. So that's why you'll never see me review any of these games :)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: February 05, 2009 (04:02 AM)

Honestly, I loved Police Quest 2. It's still one of my favorite Sierra games and I replay it every now and then. Those were the good old times I tell you.

Idemo do dna....tugo ti i ja.

board icon
Posted: February 05, 2009 (02:15 PM)

I am shocked and appalled, bloomer. Surely you at least loved Quest for Glory? Everybody loves Quest for Glory!

...please tell me you loved Quest for Glory.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 05, 2009 (06:02 PM)

Quest for Glory! =D

What espiga does in his free time
[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: February 05, 2009 (09:02 PM)

Bah humbug!

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Folkdermachine requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Folkdermcaoma requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Reutersaoma requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2009 (10:28 PM)

Fucking spambots.

- Nero Wolfe

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than southfloriamix requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Southantonow requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than RGlossary requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than forumerosaer requested its removal.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Dorumerosaer requested its removal.

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in The Sarien Encounter (VGA Remake) is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in The Sarien Encounter (VGA Remake), its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.