Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Ys (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Ys on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:44 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

How come user reviews are going in the feature box now? Don't get me wrong, WQ, I love your writing - it's easily good enough to sit nicely with the site's staff content - but it seems a little odd to be mixing it all into one pie...

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: December 10, 2008 (06:41 AM)

Oh, you didn't hear? Wolfqueen is our newest staff member.

I caught a typo:

"...how it’s atmospheric presentation makes combat and exploration enjoyable as well as adding an emotional touch found little elsewhere..."

Should be "its."

Good review. I wonder, have you had the chance to play the Master System version? Judging from the screenshots here, that game is a LOT better looking.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: December 10, 2008 (07:02 AM)

Sometimes we focus user reviews because some of our regular users, like Wolfqueen, put just as much if not more work into this site than some of our staff members and freelancers. What a rude thing for you to say, Lewis.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (07:11 AM)

I'm simply awful.

WQ clearly should be a staffer anyway, though, so it all works.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 10, 2008 (07:15 AM)

Lewis: I didn't ask my review be put there. It was a staff's decision, and I feel honored that my review was deemed worthy enough for it. If some other staff member decides it's uncouth to put user reviews in the focus window, regardless of quality, then they have the power to take it down. Anyway, I would've appreciated more on the writing of and/or the game itself rather than little (potentially offensive) quabbles over silly things as "why the bloody fuck is your user review in the staff window?".

Thanks, Masters. I'll fix that typo. I'm glad you liked it, especially since you always seem so hard to please, haha. ^^; Anyway, I haven't played the SMS version... though I suppose I could give it a look if I could find an emulator. There's a few other SMS games I'd wanted to look at, too.

And actually, I have been considering joining staff for a while, but still hold off on the decision because I'd only really be useful at school, and I can't review staff games at school.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (07:46 AM)

"...more work into this site than some of our staff members..."

NICE. I wonder who he's talking about??

WQ: I'm hard to please am I? Why don't you say what you REALLY mean. "That's nice Masters, considering you're such an asshole..."

^_^

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (07:51 AM)

Haha. Nah. I'm too nice. Besides, I like to think of it as just "holding a really strict standard". =D

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 10, 2008 (10:25 AM)

Masters is so hard to please he doesn;t even read EmP reviews anymore.

Lewis: I put a lot of work into making WQ a passable reviewer -- you leave her alone!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (10:57 AM)

Only passable, huh? =P

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: December 10, 2008 (10:58 AM)

You write reviews?

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (11:02 AM)

Lewis, your comment basically insinuates that you don't believe any user reviews should deserve the focus window. Even if that's not what you mean by it, that's still not right. The users on this site get very little coverage once their reviews pass of the front page. I hope we will see more focused user reviews in the future because sometimes the games they cover are inherently more interesting than the games we cover. If you or anyone else doesn't like it, tough.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 10, 2008 (11:05 AM)

I write reviews about ponys. I'm unsurpassed in my field.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (11:07 AM)

I thoroughly enjoyed this review, btw. Wolfqueen and I were originally going to cover NES Ys at the same time, but I offered her the opportunity to post it last night. It's a swell read.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (11:27 AM)

Emp, don't be sad. You know the only reason I haven't read and gushed about one of your reviews lately is precisely due to your area of expertise: pony games. :T

And I've got to say, I don't think I've seen Felix this grumpy since his famous run-ins with Mike Suskie.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (11:37 AM)

Argh, Christ, blown completely out of proportion. WQ is a brilliant writer, as are many of the users here, but the focus window is in what I'd consider the staff section of the front page. That's all I was commenting on. Stop getting your nickers in a twist, whoever is doing.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:06 PM)

Haha. Good times.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:19 PM)

My knickers are so knotted, it causes hemhorraging! =D

XD Just kidding. That's really gross, too. Thanks for the compliments, anyway. I'm glad you think so highly of me. Though I still would've preferred you take the focus window queries to a separate topic or something.

Ah, well, I'm glad you read the review anyway.

I also just made some edits to it... so hopefully it's a bit less awkward in some places now.

EDIT: Thanks, OD. I read your review, actually. I'll HG mail you about the super secret surprise.... maybe it is in the TCD version and none of the stuff I read / saw talked about it.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:21 PM)

It's been a while since we've had knickers in a twist, so I'm happy!

This was a very nice review. I remember playing and reviewing this game a ways back and reading this brought back memories. Not all the memories, though, as I have to admit to being clueless as to the surprise towards the end of the NES version that's not on the TG-CD one.

Maybe someday, I'll get around to playing and reviewing the NES' Ys II.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:29 PM)

I've just realised I haven't actually commented on the review, which is probably what annoyed people. Oops. I meant to, I really did.

It's good. Not one of your best, I don't think, but it's good. The word "addicting" stood out a bit though - addictive perhaps? Other than that, pretty alright, perfectly competent, but it doesn't have that "Ah yes - that's a WQ review" thing about it that most of your work does.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:30 PM)

Ha, WQ quit yer whinin' about the focus window ISSUE. At least you got POSITIVE FEEDBACK! =D And lots of it!

Listen to you: "Ahem, well I would have preferred it had you made your rather boorish focus window comments elsewhere. This topic is about praising me and my considerable skills." =T

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (12:39 PM)

XD I

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (01:21 PM)

I said that last comment to ensure that we're all on the same page. We are. So we're good.

board icon
Posted: December 10, 2008 (02:06 PM)

I was really a shit disturber in this topic. Totally wasn't intended. =D

board icon
Posted: July 17, 2010 (06:35 AM)

Thanks. I really liked this review.

No, I meant minor. In some RPGs, if you're a higher level, you'll take no damage at all from weaker enemies, but here, you'll still take some, so you still need to be relatively careful.

I do admit that it's a bit of a strange idea to write about, but I think that's my need to be as accurate as possible talking there.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.