101-in-1 Megamix (PSP) artwork

101-in-1 Megamix (PSP) review

"I blame Wario. While games containing a huge library of smaller titles are nothing new, it was him and his stupid moustached face that perhaps showed they could be done well. Large collections of mini-games were quite the rage, but one thatís been hanging around for a little while, post-trend, is 101-in-1 Megamix. Iíll let you take a guess at how many mini-games are included. "

Itís a big number and, to Nordcurrentís credit, very little is wasted. The bite-sized games donít noticeably repeat on you, and this is worth pausing for a second to ponder upon. Weíve all played one of these collections before, be it a Raving Rabbid or a Bomberman Land, looked at the huge number of challenges boasted and mentally divided that by four. This is a genre infamous for throwing out slight variations of the same formula and classifying it as something spanking new. Megamix gives this lackadaisical attitude the middle finger; it advertises 101 unique games, and thatís just what youíll bloody get.

The title seems to have been programmed with the aid of something strongly hallucinogenic at times; sometimes goofy, sometimes surreal. It seamlessly melds themes such as cavemen sporting over-exaggerated 80ís hairstyles to pogo-sticking grizzly bears to rampaging T-Rexís looking to eat you, then cuts them down to a few snatched minutes and looks largely smug about its efforts.

There are some games that work majestically, such as stacking a burger or blowing down hordes of UFOs. The aforementioned pogo-sticking bear doesnít look comfortable on his ride of choice, but still needs it to traverse a column of dodgy balconies, and your hurried escape from a T-Rex has you zipping between or over obstacles that seem to take a malicious glee in their attempts to turn you into lunch. The variety of the package does guarantee its fair share of stinkers, but the assortment of activities is far from Megamixís biggest flaw. Unlike every other title of this ilk, itís not a flaw at all: itís a strength. An asset boasting creativity that speaks well of the minds behind the title.

Then youíll beat your mini-game of choice, unlock the next one, and have no real reason to ever return.

What makes this a shame is that, otherwise, thereís a lot of life that can be squeezed from Megamix. Multiplayer modes are included, and thereís adequate high score tracking function to ensure you still have something to aim for. Maybe youíll make use of them for a while, but then, once youíve ferreted out your favourites, the very nature of the brief games means theyíre not going to be firm favourites in the long run.

Itís a flaw inherent to the genre, but a flaw nonetheless, one that means 101 isnít a game youíll be playing for years to come. It is, however, a game youíll sink a considerable amount of time into as you climb up the ladder, unlocking more and more mini-games just to see what could possible come next. This could be anything from guiding a lollypop around someoneís mouth in an attempt to dissolve it as quickly as possible or trying to play softball with hamsters being thrown at your face. Thereís no escaping the creativity and variety of whatís on offer, but its biggest strength is also its weakness: itís a large collection of brief games that simply arenít able to provide any real form of replayability.

EmP's avatar
Staff review by Gary Hartley (October 12, 2010)

Gary Hartley arbitrarily arrives, leaves a review for a game no one has heard of, then retreats to his 17th century castle in rural England to feed whatever lives in the moat and complain about you.

More Reviews by Gary Hartley
International Cricket (NES) artwork
International Cricket (NES)

Reaching out to a niche audience within a niche audience
The Walking Dead: Season 2.4 - Amid The Ruins (PC) artwork
The Walking Dead: Season 2.4 - Amid The Ruins (PC)

Baulking at the light near the end of the tunnel
Xenonauts (PC) artwork
Xenonauts (PC)

I could write myself a catchy header, but Iíve got Xenonauts shrunk down on my toolbar, and itís been a few minutes since I took my last turn.

If you enjoyed this 101-in-1 Megamix review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

CoarseDragon posted October 15, 2010:

Pratically impossible to review 101 games so what you did here is very good. I was glad you mentioned multiplayer that may be the saving grace.

I was thinking you probably do not need "otherwise" (and the commas) at the start of the second to last paragraph.
pickhut posted October 16, 2010:

"it was him and his stupid moustached face"

I read this line a few days ago but forgot to reply >_>. That actually made me laugh after coming home from a crummy day at work.

The rest of the review is good, though, I don't ever recall playing one of these "mini-games-in-one" titles, so I guess the review didn't have much of an impact on me.

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. 101-in-1 Megamix is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to 101-in-1 Megamix, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.