Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork

Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) review

"My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He shot harpoons and sent surges of electricity through the ground and up the walls. To top all of this off, I had to defeat this monster before the platform we were on descended onto..."

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He shot harpoons and sent surges of electricity through the ground and up the walls. To top all of this off, I had to defeat this monster before the platform we were on descended onto some prisoners below and crushed them. Such is “Mega Man Zero.”

This game is an acquired taste. You don’t start out loving or even enjoying it. You need to take the time and muster the patience to see this game through, before you can finally “get into it.” Capcom kind of understood this, because they created a game mechanic designed to give the player some ample room to learn the basics. It’s called the “Cyber-elf” system. The namesake, Cyber-elves, function like consumable items. Some restore your life, some make you faster or tougher, some upgrade your health bar, etc. Throughout the game you pick up energy crystals, because there are some Cyber-elves you can’t use until you feed them to required amount of crystals. The best Cyber-elves require so much energy crystals that “feeding” them can become a laborious process, which is kind of counter-intuitive to the purpose of this feature.

“Zero” has some other RPG/Adventure elements, like weapons that level up as you use them, an expansive interconnected overworld, and NPCs that you can interact with. You are free to play around in this sandbox world or ignore it and focus on the dozen missions you have to clear. You can choose the order you accomplish most of the missions. Certain missions unlock certain areas for exploration, or contain specific Cyber-elves, or yield special items, or open up new mission trees. While the format is not the same as earlier “Mega Man” games, it is true to their non-linear spirit.

There is a ranking system, which grades you on how you perform during missions. An experienced player can know the requirements to get the highest rank in a level, although they might not have the skill to meet them. Every obstacle and enemy is designed and placed in a way that skilled players can anticipate and defeat them. This even applies to the bosses, who can be felled without inflicting a single scratch on Zero. All this illustrates that, despite the intensity of its challenges, “Mega Man Zero” is not an unfair game. Well, maybe the final boss is a little unfair, I think. Should final bosses play fair?

My final impression of “Mega Man Zero” after multiple plays is: This game kicks ass! I’ve beaten it with Cyber-elves, I’ve beaten it without Cyber-elves, and I’ve beaten it with an “A” rank. Aztec Falcon no longer intimidates me, but I’ll be damned if the final two levels ever become a cake walk. I can name flaws, such as the crystal requirements for certain Cyber-elves or the unforgiving “continue” system, but these aren’t bad enough that they bring the game down or can’t be ignored. If you want to know who Zero is or what weapon arsenal he uses, look it up on Wikipedia. If you want a summary of the plot or bosses, look them up on one of the many “Mega Man” fan sites. If you want an action game that is as rewarding as it is intense and exhilarating, then check out “Mega Man Zero” in the “Mega Man Zero Collection” on the DS, or pick up the original Gameboy Advance version if you feel like it.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (June 28, 2010)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero Collection (DS) artwork
Mega Man Zero Collection (DS)

“Mega Man Zero Collection” contains one of the greatest action game anthologies of recent years and perhaps all time as well. In the realm of vigorous thumb and finger muscle exercise, you can’t do better than this on a portable game system. You can hardly do better on the so-called “home” consoles either. The "Mega Ma...

If you enjoyed this Mega Man Zero review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Mega Man Zero is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Mega Man Zero, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.