Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) artwork

Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) review

"If I were to grade “Super Street Fighter IV” as a product, it’d get a rating below ‘5/10’. Does that sound harsh to you? Well, think of all the poor suckers who dropped sixty bones on the original “Street Fighter IV.” Now they have to spend forty more dollars on this new version, which will cannibalize the community of the original one. In this age where companies like Bungie and BioWare release big DLC packs for their games, this is inexcusable. "

All that said, I have to grade “Super Street Fighter IV” as a game, and in that regard… it’s okay. In some ways, I’m glad Capcom released this revision; my review of the previous iteration could use a few revisions of its own. Since “Super” and the original are pretty much the same game, I’ll just build on my original piece:

“Super Street Fighter IV” is a respectable fighting game that's easy to pick up and easy to get the hang of. Its developers aspire to repeat what they did over a decade ago, but with a modern visual flair. A lot of gamers won’t mind, because gaming culture has reached a stage where it’s content to mine and relive a nostalgic past. Fair enough, especially if the throwback is fun.

On top of all the characters you could play and unlock in the original version of the game, there are now ten additions to the roster. 75% of those characters are imported from previous “Street Fighter” games. Most of these returning fighters play more or less like they did in those titles, but now they’re rendered in polygons. The new characters are a slender Korean girl (who’s seems a sadist) and a big red Turkish guy who slaps oil on himself. (He resembles E. Honda in build.) I wonder what interesting faces and fighting styles Capcom holds back, because they keep rehashing old ones?

The fighting engine is like a pastiche of the “Street Fighter II” and “Alpha” eras of the franchise. You’ve got yer standard sets of punches and kickses, you’ve got yer super combos, and you’ve got yer EX variations. In my last review, I mistakenly said that "Street Fighter IV" had the ‘parry’ system from “Street Fighter III”; it turns out I mistook the ‘throw cancel’ feature for parries. (The visual effect looks similar.) So what does this engine have that previous incarnations didn’t? Ultra combos. They’re like super combos, but ultra. In "Super Street Fighter IV", characters now have more than one ‘ultra’ that you can choose from. This is a throwback to “Street Fighter III”, which gave fighters multiple ‘super arts’. Note that 'super' and 'ultra' moves have different bars, and only the 'ultra' bar resets at the conclusion of a round.

Another distinct feature is the ‘focus attack’. The basic function of the ‘focus’ is to nullify an incoming attack and deliver a crippling counter blow. The manual, which is written in dense ‘fighting gamese’, says you can use ‘focus attacks’ to cancel or feint or mask your next move. I just use ‘em to smash my opponent real good and sneak in a sweep kick; the “Street Fighter IV” gods probably use ‘em to destroy peons like myself.

I’d be lying if I said “Super Street Fighter IV” isn’t fun. I wouldn’t drop $40 on it myself, but I know people who would. They probably wouldn’t be disappointed if they invested in this game, and I wouldn’t mind dropping by their house and playing it. “Street Fighter IV” is kind of like those mediocre movies you catch on cable television. You’d never pay money to see them in theaters, but they’re just interesting enough that you wouldn’t mind watching them for free.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (May 15, 2010)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance)

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He ...

If you enjoyed this Super Street Fighter IV review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Super Street Fighter IV is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Super Street Fighter IV, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.