Wacky Races (NES) artwork

Wacky Races (NES) review

"“Wacky Races” for the Nintendo is a hidden gem of a platformer. The only reason it ever crossed my mind to play it was because I was browsing an old issue of Nintendo Power, one that had “Darkwing Duck” as its cover story. One of the other features was a pretty extensive overview of, you guessed it, this game. The graphics in the screenshot were very clean and colorful; I thought I’d like this game, and my hunch was correct. "

The game is based on a series of old Hanna-Barbara cartoons from the 80s or 70s. Your protagonist is actually one of the program’s villains, a snickering dog named Muttley. The plot is of no importance and neither is the property that inspired the game. Fan or not, this is a fun platformer. It has ten levels divided across three worlds. You have the option of deciding which of the three worlds you’ll start with, and every time you clear one you can choose the next. This non-linearity doesn’t serve any real purpose, but what the heck, it doesn’t hurt either.

Muttley moves and hops at a brisk speed; maybe he’s not quite Sonic the Hedgehog, but the hound can certainly hustle a little better than your garden variety plumber. Being a dog and a crook, you collect bones and diamonds as your pick-ups. The bones are part of a power-up system that sorta recalls Konami’s “Gradius”; there are four icons in your HUD: A bomb, a bark, wings, and a heart. The first two are projectile/explosive weapons that can you switch back and forth between; the wings grant our mutt the ability to “float fall” like Raccoon Mario in “Super Mario Bros. 3”; and the hearts replenish your whole health and add an extra life container, up to five. Each time you collect a bone, you cycle through one of the four icons from left to right; pushing ‘select’ activates the power-up. Diamonds, by the way, fulfill the Law of One Hundred, which dictates that every platformer will have at least one kind of item that grants a 1-UP for every 100 collected.

The levels contain textbook platforming of the best kind. They encompass hills, caves, fields, lakes, the sky, suburbs, a harbor, a recreation of the Old American West, and slippery ice caps. Settings hardly repeat, and enemies are rarely recycled as well. Each level brings new scenery and obstacles, and a couple introduce game mechanics of their own, like the token swimming level and another where you bounce on and between fluffy clouds. I never saw the ‘Game Over’ screen, but I did bust a sweat once or twice, especially against the surprisingly tricky bosses; they’re the kind that really do require patience and an observation of pattern, and each one has a second and even trickier behavior that kicks in once they’re down to half their health.

It took me an hour to beat “Wacky Races,” but it had enough content and variety to make that hour fly by. It’s a superb game for kids, who will enjoy the colorful character and graphics and will certainly find it to be more challenging than adults will; I think the fun itself would translate well across all age groups. This is the ideal “Super Mario” clone.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (September 22, 2009)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance)

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He ...

If you enjoyed this Wacky Races review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Wacky Races is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Wacky Races, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.