Mighty Final Fight (NES) artwork

Mighty Final Fight (NES) review

"“Mighty Final Fight” is a fairly enjoyable brawler from Capcom, the masterminds behind the “Mega Man” franchise and assorted Disney games. They also created the original “Final Fight,” which caused a sensation when it first hit arcades in 1989. Consider this Nintendo game to be a kind of condensed version of that one, with a few flourishes here and there. "

The set-up is the same, with you picking from one of three fighters: Cody--the young guy with everything to prove, Guy--Cody’s friend and sometimes romantic rival, and Haggar--a burly wrester/politician. They all have some beef with the Mad Gear gang, something to do with either a kidnapping or crime spree. It doesn’t matter which, because it all boils down to an impetus for some good old fashion bashing and lashing. Like the original arcade game, you fight through six districts of Metro City. They all kind of blend together after a while.

Not that the setting really matters, since the appeal here lies in some solid fighting mechanics. You’re given a good range of options: punch the enemy silly, grab and bash ‘em, grab and throw ‘em, throw ‘em backwards, inflict a double-edged deathblow, and so on. I found the game to be very fair in regards to hit connection, with little in the way of cheap shots or uneven parrying. (Don’t you hate it when you play a game like “Double Dragon” and the enemy can duck your jump kicks but you can’t duck theirs?)

Anyways, there’s all that plus an experience system. Instead of tallying a score, each thug you fell gives you experience points. You gain experience levels, which add to your life bar and sometimes to your move arsenal. You can level up five times. While novel, I’ve never been quite convinced that games like these need RPG elements. Wouldn’t it be better if you started off with everything? I suppose it gives you something to look forward to, though.

The bad guys are your typical lot of unsavory toughies and punks and hookers. Some throw knives at you, others do flip kicks, the really big ones like to charge at you and have really good reach, and some thugs seem to exist just to get bashed in the face. The bosses include some big dude who wears glasses, an urban samurai, and a very irritable boxer. They get recycled a lot, which is one of the weaker aspects of “Mighty Final Fight.” The developers take the lazy shortcut of slapping a new coat of paint on the same enemies and throwing them at us again, both the bosses and the regulars. Their behavior and health meters change slightly, but they’re mostly the same guys but tougher.

From time to time, the action stops for these little obstacle sections involving barrels that roll out of no where. You can break these for health pick-ups and weapons. Guy, my character of choice, can throw these nifty ninja stars for example. Sometimes the barrel bashing is integrated straight into the level, and other times it's a bonus game after the boss. Busting up inanimate objects is certainly fun, I’ll grant that.

The visual style is cute, with its dwarfish characters and their exaggerated expressions. There are funny little dialogue exchanges between you and the bosses. (BOSS: “You look bushed. How about some water?”; YOU: [Yes.]; BOSS: “Here you go.”) The fighting is well implemented, and enemy waves are big enough to challenge you but small enough to be reasonably manageable. This is decent bubble gum for the thumbs.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (July 20, 2009)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance)

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He ...

If you enjoyed this Mighty Final Fight review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

zippdementia posted July 22, 2009:

This review lacks oomph. I think the main reason for this is that it also lacks focus. You sort've throw out a lot of things about the game, but few of them carry any actual weight and are instead well known facts about Final Fight and Beat em ups in general. This line in particular highlights this:

"From time to time, barrels appear out of no where. You can break these for health pick-ups and weapons. Guy, my character of choice, can throw these nifty ninja stars. Sometimes the barrels are integrated straight into the level, and other times they’re an element of a post-boss bonus game. Busting up inanimate objects is certainly fun, I’ll give them that."

What use is this line? Why does Guy's ninja ability get thrown into this paragraph? What does this line tell us about the game other than it has power ups (not really blowing my world open here).

I would rather you had picked something that really drew YOU in about Final Fight and then expanded on that. It would've added a more personal level to the review and less of a random element.
randxian posted July 22, 2009:

I agree with pretty much everything Zipp says. There needs to be a little more depth in some areas.

One line I think could be left out is:

You made it clear in the previous sentences that the game lacks cheap shots, so this comparison is unecessary.
joseph_valencia posted July 22, 2009:

I guess it does lack a certain 'oomph.' One of the things about this game is that its pretty generic but not bad either. Nothing in particular really amazed me, but I also thought it did its job as an 8-bit beat 'em up. That gives me little to draw upon except the general feeling of good company.

In retrospect, this paragraph didn't convey what I intended. I was pointing out that certain levels stop to throw a series of rolling barrels at you as obstacles, and that this is where the power-ups and weapon pick-ups can be found. It wasn't very obvious to me the first time I played the game, so I thought it would be something good to point out in the review. (My instinct was actually to avoid these things and not attack them.) I've done edits on that paragraph to convey this info a little better.

Yeah, but I like the added reinforcement. It also illustrates what I consider to be "foul play," so the reader and I are 100% on the same page.
psychopenguin posted July 27, 2009:

I like this review, and strong conclusion, but "You can level up about five times." About five times? Why not just say 5 times?
joseph_valencia posted July 27, 2009:

You're right. I've edited out the pointless "about."