We've removed ads and are looking to Patreon to secure revenue so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Crazy Machines 2 Complete (PC) artwork

Crazy Machines 2 Complete (PC) review

"Itís an interest thing, really. If the idea of gizmos and pulleys and gears has you grinning like a loon, or even if you want to tread a puzzle path not often explored, then this is a great package to pick up."

Hereís something you probably didnít know about me, aside from my skill to turn any topic around to a discussion about myself; I spend roughly four weeks a year building, from scrap, all manner of crazy half-working machines welded together from binned iron and rusted car parts to test to destruction against a host of other people with nothing better to do. I drown in axel grease, ball bearings and stuttering moped engines because, deep in the back of my heart, I want to be the guy who devises crazed contraptions like the eccentric inventor from Wallace & Gromit or Christopher Lloydís portrayal of Dr Emmett L. Brown in Back to the Future.

Crazy Machines 2: Complete gives me the appreciated chance to make insane chains of pointless gizmos without the very real threat of chiselling the tip of my thumb off. If youíve ever spent more time making a pointlessly complex machine out of Meccano that can do little more than stir a cup of tea, or if you even know what Meccano is, then this is probably a game you might want to look at.

You are given puzzles to solve. They are not what youíre thinking.

Anyone whoís played Mousetrap will remember how you had to try and trap a sneaky plastic rodent by constructing a simple drop cage by hugely over-elaborate means. Take that idea, lose any sense of structure, slap it on a virtual canvas and factor in over 200 tools from assorted cogs, gears and pulleys, small cannons, balloons and fireworks. There are cranks, pegs, levers, gears and chains, and they exist to perform a mundane action -- such as dropping a ball into a basket or smashing a vase. Itís not the first time a game has struck out to give you, the puzzle-happy public, this kind of experience, but it does do something to set itself apart. Crazy Machines has its own physics engine, and it intends to make damn sure you know about it.

To this effect, youíll have items plummeting as gravity takes hold or watch crash test dummies get flung and dropped for kicks and giggles. Bouncy things will bounce, spinning things will spin and the solutions to your mundane tasks gain a whole new level of inventiveness. Factor this in with the ability to harness electricity, lightning and lasers, and each stage can be completed in several different ways. Even more if you heartlessly abuse the struggling physics engine for your own needs! Should you get stuck, then the game will drop hints on how it solved the puzzle itself, but its solutions are always the most outlandish and bizarre, combining parts and ideas that you might not put together yourself and that really shouldnít work but sometimes do. Iím not sure whether to condemn their antics or applaud them for expecting the player to be as off-the-walls insane with their answers as they possibly can. No, thatís a lie; I think itís great to complete a stage then see how it could have been done if you walked that very thin line between genius and insane. Someone just looking for a bit of common sense to guide them in a moment of insecurity, however, certainly wonít share my enthusiasm.

And then itís on to the next puzzle in a sea of conundrums and head scratchers. Itís not perfect; the interface is clumsy, the backgrounds busy enough for you to lose plain sight of your complex working parts, and the end is never as gloriously manic as the means. The tool tip gives you hints on what parts actually do, but theyíre vague, often poorly written and not applicable for the carcass of parts that are already on the screen to begin with. Your invention can become so cluttered, so stuffed with working parts, that the entire thing becomes a blur of motion, making the smaller parts hard to distinguish.

But thereĎs always redemption to be had. Complete comes with the vast majority of downloadable add-on puzzles the initial showing of Crazy Machines 2 offered and if even this mountain of stages isnít enough, then you can create your own. Thereís a strong sense of replayability for those determined to collect a glittering collection of top tier medals. And I can let my mechanics-obsessed alter ego run wild without having to worry about singed off eyebrows or lead poisoning.

If youíve ever watched the first Back to the FutureĎs opening scene detailing the most overly-elaborate way to power an alarm clock ever and fell in love with the idea, then this is probably your best chance to replicate it without treading copious amounts of oil into your carpet.

EmP's avatar
Staff review by Gary Hartley (July 01, 2009)

Gary Hartley arbitrarily arrives, leaves a review for a game no one has heard of, then retreats to his 17th century castle in rural England to feed whatever lives in the moat and complain about you.

More Reviews by Gary Hartley
The Walking Dead: Season 2.4 - Amid The Ruins (PC) artwork
The Walking Dead: Season 2.4 - Amid The Ruins (PC)

Baulking at the light near the end of the tunnel
Xenonauts (PC) artwork
Xenonauts (PC)

I could write myself a catchy header, but Iíve got Xenonauts shrunk down on my toolbar, and itís been a few minutes since I took my last turn.
300 Dwarves (PC) artwork
300 Dwarves (PC)

One Dwarf too far.

If you enjoyed this Crazy Machines 2 Complete review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

zippdementia posted July 01, 2009:

EmP proves that he is just as good at putting together reviews as he is at putting together crazy machines.

But he doesn't always get all the kinks out of the works:

Crazy Machines 2: Complete gives me the appreciated chance to make insane chains of pointless gizmos just because without the very real threat of chiselling the tip of my thumb off.

And in a Staff Review, no less! Shame on you, EmP!
EmP posted July 01, 2009:

I can live with a solitary missing comma!

Thanks for the catch. Edited away.
zippdementia posted July 01, 2009:

Personally, I would take out the because altogether and make the sentence:

Crazy Machines 2: Complete gives me the appreciated chance to make insane chains of pointless gizmos without the threat of chiselling the tip of my thumb off.

The phrase "just because" is sort've a blight on the English language, in my opinion.
EmP posted July 01, 2009:

Just because is one of my favourate phrases. Mainly because it describes 80% of the things I do in my life.
aschultz posted July 01, 2009:

And yet, you passed up a clear chance for "just because" and said "mainly because" instead.

Talk about double standards!

Now it's my turn to get all microscopic on an enjoyable and convincing review.

* Gromit has one m. Urbandictionary shows grommit as something disturbingly different.

* "Anyone whoís ever" -> Anyone who's [seems more succinct]
EmP posted July 01, 2009:

Thanks both for the catches -- I much appreciate it. I remain an awful proofer.
aschultz posted July 01, 2009:

Do you have a program that can do that for you?

My Windows came with Word 2000, which has spell/grammar check. I think OpenOffice has spell check, and you can just cut/paste a text file in. Maybe it only gets the really basic stuff, but I know that having it frees my mind to try and proofread more subjective stuff. Maybe you can find something, so the trivial stuff is out of the way.
wolfqueen001 posted July 02, 2009:

Oh. He usually has me as his prooofer, but obviously he doesn't need me this time as the topic and comments have already been made and he seems to have gotten into the habit of taking me foregranted whenever I post in one of these, as evidenced by the last three times I've posted in one. =P

And there's no way he wrote this for my birthday yesterday which he said nothing of in any of the 1000 ways he can contact me despite the more-than-ovvious clue given him yesterday. I know your memory's not that bad, man! xP

Anyway, I've found that word docs won't find some common errors such as subject/verb agreement or past/present mistakes because it doesn't know how to handle prepositionsal phrases and other complicated aspects of the language.
EmP posted July 02, 2009:

After that foregranted gaff, I should sack you and move on to a bright, bright future.

I know it was your birthday, twit. Perhaps you should exercise some patience rather than complain endlessly like girls are forever wont to do.
jerec posted July 02, 2009:

Don't feel too bad, EmP. You need less proofing than Overdrive does.
wolfqueen001 posted July 02, 2009:

Except that you won't. Haha. And anyway, you know I'm just giving you shit. On both accounts of complaint. Or at least you should. Though I will admit it probably is hard to tell that with me sometimes... which is why I use emoticons.

And I fully expect that you're giving me shit with what you said there, too.

Anyway, I know you love and appreciate me; no need to get hasty! Haha.