Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (Game Boy) artwork

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (Game Boy) review

"“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers” is the kind of game I thought “Fall of the Foot Clan” would turn out to be. That is to say…it sucked. Amiable is not the word for this one. As a matter of fact, “Sewers” demands three words to describe it: incompetent, plodding, and annoying. I pity the Turtle fans in 1991 whose parents bought them this game instead of “Manhattan Project”. "

On paper, “Sewers” is cut from the same cloth as 1990’s “Foot Clan”. It’s a side-scrolling actioner where you continually move a Ninja Turtle to the right side of the level while fighting off wave after wave of Dimension X goons. There are some changes. The mini-games (which I completely missed while playing the first game) are now at the end of each stage. If none of your Turtles get captured, you get to play a “bonus game” for extra points. If one does get captured, you get to fight an annoying boss in an attempt to rescue them.

Another new element is the occasional shift to free movement, as in the popular Ninja Turtle arcade games. This makes for a nice change of pace, but it also begs the question of why the entire game isn’t like this. It feels like a gimmick to make the game feel more exciting than it actually is.

From the very outset, there is a distinct feeling that something isn’t right with this game. It’s like listening to an orchestra that has one performer off key. The Turtle looks dorky. He doesn’t *strike* the enemy with his sai, but swipes at them like a sissy swatting at a fly. His upper body hardly moves, only his legs. His torso is always in the same position, whether he’s walking, jumping, kicking, or attacking. I give the graphic designers a D-.

A sense of desperation underscores the obstacles in the game. Whoever designed the levels employs every dirty trick in the book to defeat, not thrill us. There are bosses that require you to jump or move in *just* the right way and in *just* the right position to avoid getting creamed. There are obstacles positioned to be nigh unavoidable. The Ninja Gaiden Re-Spawn, a favorite of hack game designers, even rears its butt ugly head.

I gave up in Stage 5, a level that’s like the unholy marriage of M.C. Escher and “Sonic 2’s” Wing Fortress Zone. Every level before that was fairly standard. City? Check. Sewer? Check. Skateboarding? Check. Cave, complete with the Indiana Jones boulder? Check!

If I had the will, I probably could have made it to the end of “Sewers”. It’s not entirely awful, but it’s exhausting and with nothing to show for it. This is a second-generation copy of “Fall of the Foot Clan”. I’d rather replay the original a second time over.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (June 04, 2009)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance)

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He ...

If you enjoyed this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.