Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy) artwork

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy) review

"Here is a game I didn’t expect to like. A basic, monochrome Gameboy game released to cash-in on a more elaborate console version. Guess what? I enjoyed “Fall of the Foot Clan” more than “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game”. Both were released in 1990. One is a bloated port of a superior coin-op experience, the other a humble and efficient portable actioner. (If that word doesn’t exist, I’m coining it right here.) "

There are five levels. Each of them is comprised of moving one of four Turtles to the right side of the stage, fighting off constant attacks from Foot Soldiers, robots, and traps from either side. You have three attacks: a basic standing strike, a jump kick, and ninja star projectiles. Most enemies can be taken down with a single hit.

What we have here is a fairly good Ninja Turtle treatment of “Kung-Fu”, an exercise for the reflexes. The levels start out pretty standard, with the obligatory romp through Manhattan and its sewers. By stage three I was hopping across moving vehicles of various lengths and heights. The next level was a river populated by piranhas, where I had the option to jump across logs rather than face the vicious fish head on. All of the most challenging enemies and traps were rightly reserved for the Technodrome, which slowly whittled me down to my last Turtle.

Despite some intense challenges, I managed to beat “Fall of the Foot Clan” on my first try. In spite of that, I have to admit that I had fun while the game lasted. There were genuine challenges, and the game pulled few cheap shots if any. The levels were memorable, and the sound design (featuring early work by Symphony of the Night’s Michiru Yamane) was true to the spirit of this property. I can only offer simple praise for this simple, but amiable, game.

joseph_valencia's avatar
Community review by joseph_valencia (June 04, 2009)

More Reviews by joseph_valencia
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis) artwork
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (Genesis)

Alan Grant is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero 2 (Game Boy Advance)

The first stage of “Mega Man Zero 2” is one of the best possible notes a game could start on. Our hero, garbed in a poncho, fatigued from the battles he’s fought since the prior installment, limps his way through a canyon in the midst of a sandstorm. The storm dies down, and a battalion of Neo Arcadian foot soldiers fl...
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance) artwork
Mega Man Zero (Game Boy Advance)

My initial impression of “Mega Man Zero” when I first played it was: This game is hard as fuck! I was humiliated by the first real boss, Aztec Falcon. The claustrophobic quarters where you fight him caused me to panic. He dwarfed my little Zero character in size, and he nimbly bounded and dashed all over the place. He ...

If you enjoyed this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

randxian posted June 04, 2009:

I remember enjoying this game. However, I didn't find any of it particularly challenging, even the Technodrome stage.

Although this is a simple game, I think your review needs a bit more meat. Plus you don't mention the various mini games hidden in the actual stages.

Other than that, you do highlight the most important aspects and I think you give a fair assessment of the game.
joseph_valencia posted June 04, 2009:

I never encountered any of the mini-games. ^_^;

Maybe my old-school gaming skills are getting rusty, but I found some waves of enemies to be kind of tricky to deal with. I can see this game getting easier if you know everything in advance, though.
randxian posted June 04, 2009:

I suppose to be fair, the mini games are well hidden. If I remember correctly, I found them because of some tips in Nintendo Power.

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.