Daze Before Christmas (Genesis) artwork

Daze Before Christmas (Genesis) review

"After a long and busy day of Christmas shopping I was absolutely exhausted. I was running all over the place looking for everything that everyone wanted, so when I came hope I was broke, tired, and needed to relax. Naturally I decided to download (OMG ILLEGAL) Daze Before Christmas to hopefully keep my mind on the positive aspects of Christmas and why the holiday is so freakiní great "

Unfortunately an evil snowman and his henchmen donít want everyone to be happy for Christmas and hope that everyone suffers. So guess what they do? They steal all of Santaís presents! But being the good guy he is, Santa wants to get them all back and deliver them all over the world, so heís on a mission to recover as many presents as possible while rescuing his elves before Christmas.

Since thereís no way that an old, fat man can do this impossible task, Santa is armed with some abilities that the average person wishes they would have. He is somehow capable of jumping up to five times his height and can shoot some sort of magical ice projectile at his foes. He can also utilize powerups that heíll find during his quest. These include a powerup that allows him to shoot fire, and a mug that allows him to turn into an evil Santa Claus. Santa in his devilish form cannot grab any presents or shoot magic, but heís invincible. Itís great if youíre trying to plow through an area or defeat a tougher enemy.

Throughout your quest youíll be fighting several different enemies in many unique locations. The diverse enemies make every area seem unique and enjoyable, and never makes it seem like the game is throwing the same stuff at you. You will encounter penguins and snowmen in the snow, jack-in-the-boxes that pop out of presents and attack you, evil elves in Santaís workshop, and much more. There different environments all pose unique challenges to Santa, whether it is jumping from heart to heart, trying to avoid spikes in a cave or a fish that jumps out of water, mice on a conveyer belt, or a boss. After every 5-6 levels a present delivery level appears, in which Santa is in his sled and has to deliver presents to everyone that heís recovered during his quest while avoiding obstacles that stand in the way. Basically this game is loaded full of interesting and enjoyable moments that perfectly capture the essence of Christmas.

There is a problem, however. Since the entire game was obviously aimed at kids, us platformer vets wonít find it to be much of a challenge at all. Aside from the bosses, the enemies are simple and none of them pose a threat at all. The bosses are even a joke, and the game still remains relatively simple, even at the hardest difficulty level. In the matter of fact I donít think I died once from enemies, the only times I died was when I had to jump to a lower platform and couldnít make out where it was because it is off the screen. The gameís 20+ levels can be breezed through in an hour, which is extremely short compared to other platformers.

Daze Before Christmas obviously isnít the next Sonic or Ristar, but itís the perfect game to try on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day since it is the best holiday game out there. It wonít be a game that you will want to revisit more than once a year, but there isnít a better game to get you into the Christmas Spirit.

It put a smile on my face. Iím sure it will put a smile on yours, too.

Halon's avatar
Community review by Halon (November 28, 2008)

More Reviews by Halon
Poker Night at the Inventory (PC) artwork
Poker Night at the Inventory (PC)

In the end, Poker Night at the Inventory is nothing more than a promotion for Team Fortress 2 featuring a cheap poker game.
Ikaruga (GameCube) artwork
Ikaruga (GameCube)

I will admit I am not a fan of Treasure. But I have to give them some credit; they made their latest game, Ikaruga, sound not only interesting, but innovative as well. Talks about switching between black and white really sounded cool and made Ikaruga sound like the future of videogames.
Halo Zero (PC) artwork
Halo Zero (PC)

I remember on April Fools Day 2005 when Gamespot joked about Halo 3, stating that it's rumored to be a RTS. They probably didn't fool anyone, but it wasn't long before a Halo game that didn't stick to the series' traditional first-person view would be released. Although it was never ďofficiallyĒ released, Halo Zero<...

If you enjoyed this Daze Before Christmas review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Daze Before Christmas is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Daze Before Christmas, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.