Bust-A-Move 99 (PlayStation) artwork

Bust-A-Move 99 (PlayStation) review

"For some reason, the game feels like a fighting game to me when I'm playing against the computer or my friend. Well, I think that just about sums up the gameplay, aside from saying that there are THOUSANDS of puzzles that you can play in the game, plus all the puzzles that you'll be making."

Back in the snes days, there was an extremely addictive puzzle game called Bust A Move. It was a favorite among hardcore and casual gamers alike, and with its simplistic yet addictive gameplay, it drew players in. Now, 7 years later (about, I think) 4 sequels have been made. Bust-A-Move '99 is the third. It brings everything that made the first 2 games great even better. Graphics, sound, a killer versus mode...

The graphics in this game are, well, pretty boring. I mean, they aren't horrible, but they're oh-so-simple, and totally 2D. They're easy to see, but don't set any new records for Playstation. This is one of the few games which has graphics that haven't changed in 7 years :) So they're basically just like 16-bit snes graphics, but clearer, crisper, and smoother.

The gameplay in this game is excellent. There are several different modes that you can chose from, including a 2 player versus mode where you can ''battle'' your opponent, and a mode where you can make your own puzzles. Now, I bet a few of you people who've never played Bust-A-Move are wondering what it's all about... Well, in a way, it's like Tetris. A bunch of different colored bubbles are in certain formations hanging from the ceiling. You control a cannon which can rotate in a 180 degree angle. Your cannon shoots bubbles! The bubble you get in your cannon is totally random. You try to get rid of all the bubbles, by blowing them up by getting 3 bubbles of the same color touching eachother, and any other bubbles that may be hanging off of those. Every certain number of shots you make, the ceiling drops a little bit. If the bubbles drop so far down that they're where your cannon is, it's game over. In 2 player mode, you can ''battle'' your opponent. You and your opponent each have their play zone, and it works the same way as one player, except when you destroy the bubbles, they fly over to your opponents side. This is where the part of having different characters comes in...

Each of the 8 characters has a different combination of bubbles they send over to the opponent when you do certain combonations. Bust-A-Move '99 added this concept, I believe, and it also added in some ''special'' bubbles for a new twist. For some reason, the game feels like a fighting game to me when I'm playing against the computer or my friend. Well, I think that just about sums up the gameplay, aside from saying that there are THOUSANDS of puzzles that you can play in the game, plus all the puzzles that you'll be making. The game goes on forever, and offers an endless amouunt of replay value. Now for the sound...

The sound in Bust-A-Move '99 is typical Bust-A-Move music. It's so catchy, you'll find yourself humming the tunes while you're not playing the game. It's also a tad annoying, especially when you play this game as much as most people do. The sound effects are all nicely done. The sound in this is a plus.

Overall, Bust-A-Move '99 is my favorite puzzler of all time. It's definitely the most addictive... If I sit down and play it, I know I'll be playing for at least an hour, usually more. There's something about popping colored bubbles that draws you in ^_^ and this is a classic game for anyone. Even younger kids could probably grasp the concept fairly quickly. Bust-A-Move has been, and always will be one of my favorite puzzle series' ever. And for the low price of $18, (which is what I got it for), you simply can't go wrong!

Rating: 5.0/10

ender's avatar
Staff review by James Gordon (Date unavailable)

More Reviews by James Gordon
BioShock 2 (PlayStation 3) artwork
BioShock 2 (PlayStation 3)

Those who don't care for First Person Shooters should probably look elsewhere, as it can make an unprepared person dizzy and aggravated. I highly recommend “Bioshock 2.”
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (PSP) artwork
Ridge Racer (PSP) artwork
Ridge Racer (PSP)

Introduction:

If you enjoyed this Bust-A-Move 99 review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

Masters posted July 16, 2010:

I think we have a problem here. I wanted to grab this game but I forgot all about it until I saw it featured in the LOOKING FOR A GOOD READ? thingie. Then I saw the score, and I was disheartened. Then I read the review... and realized (among other things), that the 5/10 was probably intended to be a 5/5. Weirdness.

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Bust-A-Move 99 is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Bust-A-Move 99, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.