Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) artwork

Silent Hill 2 (PlayStation 2) review

"Silent Hill released by Konami years back that put fear into the player with it's rich and immersive atmosphere, creepy sounds, gory monsters and buckets of blood. Then along came the sequel, with it came the hype. The original was loved by many and was quoted as being the scariest game of all time. This sets lofty expectations for the sequel. Will it live up to it's prequal? "

Graphics 6/10

We will get right into it starting with Graphics. Even though it was made for the PS2 the graphics aren't much of what you would expect. Graphics wise they used the same concept as SH1 grainy and unclear , but I guess it is an added effect to make the game scary. the characters aren't much different, in my personal opinion they weren't trying to make the graphics appeal to the player as much other games do although they added some facial expressions and improved on the characters outlook there really isn't much there. All in all they were trying to keep it alot like the first.

Sounds/Soundtrack 8/10

Throughout the game you experience some new music but alot of it was just taken from the first and remastered to sound better.(Seems like they do this alot with sequals now) So the music doesn't really become a frightening experence to you. On the other hand the new sounds added for monsters and the surroundings does appeal to you in a way that you might wet your pants.(No I didn't heh) You come across parts in the game where you are not sure if something is there or not this got to me I was barely able to beat the game on account of how the screams and foot-steps happened randomly.

Control 8/10

Controlling James is relatively easy. Your presented with the standard survival horror controls. James runs, aims and searches with good fluid movements. A flaw?? well, it's a little hard to control your attacks at first, but with a little time, a few losses and regroups, you'll get the hang of it and be slaying beasts before you know it.

Story 9/10

The story is alot like the first, You as James Sunderland are looking for someone in the resort town of Silent Hill. The story starts off with James at the edge of town in a bathroom you soon find out he is there because he recently recieved a letter form his late wife who died 3 years earlier. On the way into town he comes across a strange woman who has a major part in the whole game although she doesn't appaear much. You also encounter 3 other people.(Even though I would like to mention all their names I want to keep thiswith minimal spoilers)They all come out different times in the game making a bit confusing as the story changes with ever encounter with them.

Author's Opinion

The question was:Does this sequal to perhaps the greatets horro survival game ever made live up to it's prequal? In my opinion even though the sotry is somewhat interesting it isn't as deep and compelling as the first this one didn't really draw me in and make me look at it in the perspective of James. In SH1 you are a man named Harry who gets into an accident and finds himself in Silent Hill but his daughter is no where to be found the story explains why the town is the way it is, Unlike in the second they don't really explain what caused all this that has happened to the town. It's a twisted love story about a guy who can't let go and accept that his wife is gone.

Overall 7/10

The game overall isn't exactly as scary as the first although they tried to make it as scary as they could it just didn't come out the way I had hoped. In my personal opinion I think you should rent this game so you can come up with your own thoughts on the game I am sure there are alot of people really love this game and maybe you also but I feel it isn't worth the money to go out and buy.

kid_karny's avatar
Community review by kid_karny (Date unavailable)

If you enjoyed this Silent Hill 2 review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Silent Hill 2 is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Silent Hill 2, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.