We've removed ads and are looking to Patreon to secure revenue so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (PC) artwork

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (PC) review

"Iíve never played a game like Big Rigs. Itís a racing game, with trucks. You may first think that itís simply an 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker rip-off. If it tries to be, itís not. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is honestly one of the worst games in all of history, for a variety of reasons that make themselves clear from the moment the game is started. I thought I knew what I was in for when I started up the game, because Iíd read all the reviews for it beforehand: many c..."

Iíve never played a game like Big Rigs. Itís a racing game, with trucks. You may first think that itís simply an 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker rip-off. If it tries to be, itís not. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is honestly one of the worst games in all of history, for a variety of reasons that make themselves clear from the moment the game is started. I thought I knew what I was in for when I started up the game, because Iíd read all the reviews for it beforehand: many calling it the worst game ever made. I was terribly understating the pain I was about to endure.

I donít think that we should technically classify Big Rigs as a racing game. Racing games usually involve some sort of competition. Big Rigs does not offer any sort of competition, as your opponent never actually moves. He just sits there as you race. So no matter how good you are, or how bad you are, youíre not going to lose, ever. Thereís simply no way.

Expecting that, youíd at least think that the racing mechanics would be decent. Guess what, they arenít either. Driving along, you have absolutely no sense of speed. You race from behind in a third-person view behind the truck. When youíre doing so, the game's graphics engine stutters, and you go from feeling like youíre moving way too fast to feeling like youíre moving way too slow. And this continues throughout the entire race. There are five courses and four different rigs in Custom Race mode. Alternately play Random Race mode, which just gets rid of your options.

Then, you still have to deal with the frustrating controls. Youíll push left, and the vehicle wonít move, but then suddenly youíll make an almost ninety degree turn. The same for when you turn right. Then try stopping: you slam on the breaks and you hardly stop when moving forward, but once youíre going in reverse you completely stop moving. Oh yeahÖand if you keep holding down reverse, your rig just keeps accelerating, to well over 1,000MPH. You still stop completely if you let go though.

Making it even easier (as if that was possible in a game that you always win in), thereís no environmental collision. Go through a house, fence, lamp post Ė you name it. And itís a good thing the vehicles fail to slow down on grassÖor rocksÖor moving uphill. With such excellent design, Big Rigs is hard to pass up (NOTE: SARCASM).

Graphically, youíre looking at an awful game. As you drive your mighty vessel down the road, the road randomly breaks and fractures, only to reappear a dozen feet or so away from you. The rigs themselves donít look all that bad, but they look like they were designed with a 1979 graphics engine. The time keeper, which tells you how long you've been racing, doesn't even fit properly into the box they designed for it! Every single texture in the game looks pixelated and grainy. But what can you expect from a company that advertises that they can make a game in under $15,000?

As for sound, the music is just 30 or so notes playing over and over again. But once you get too far in the race, it just completely stops all together. Itís not such a big loss, but considering that the rigs donít make any noise themselves, it makes for a lackluster last few minutes of racing.

In the end, Big Rigs is only good as a joke. If you hate someone, and I mean HATE someone, give them this game as a gift, in the hopes that theyíll play it, because that way you can say to them, ďhaha, youíre an idiot who plays Big Rigs!Ē I wish I could think of some redeeming factors for the game, but there simply arenít any. There isnít even a manual! The game is just that bad.

asherdeus's avatar
Community review by asherdeus (March 17, 2004)

More Reviews by asherdeus
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded (Xbox 360) artwork
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded (Xbox 360)

The game is in many ways a perfect example of Activision's consistent mishandling of the Bond license. It's certainly gotten a little more polish than your average licensed Activision release, but itís still not worth your time.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC) artwork
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)

Eidos Montreal deftly updated the game to give it more modern sensibilities while retaining the core of what captivated us with the original. I'd even go as far as arguing that this is the very best entry in the series and closest to the original vision of what the game could be, though some may disagree.
Bodycount (PlayStation 3) artwork
Bodycount (PlayStation 3)

Somewhere along the way, the vision for this game was lost and what remains is a jumbled, unsatisfying mess. There are good ideas here - the controls work very well and the core ideas the game calls on have potential. It's just very poorly conceived. Nothing really meshes together and I got the feeling that it was just...

If you enjoyed this Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.