Lagoon (SNES) artwork

Lagoon (SNES) review

"And my goodness, how Lagoon PLAYS. The 'sword' that you wield is little more than a potato peeler. Its range is excruciatingly limited, and that coupled with inane collision detection makes for horrible battles. The fact that EXCESSIVE level building is necessary to advance pass the difficult bosses, simply exacerbates an already frustrating fighting experience."

An exercise in tedium

I warn you -- this story does not have a happy ending. Lagoon is the single worst game I have ever played to completion. (I'm obsessive compulsive, and a perfectionist, those are my excuses.) If being a horrid game was a crime, all Lagoon's defense could do would be to plead insanity on behalf of Kemco/Seika, the game's creators.

But surely the story should be half decent at least, should it not? Lagoon is an action-RPG after all! Well, you are Nasir, Child of Light, and you must restore peace and prosperity to Lakeland by cleansing the contaminated waters. That bad you say? Let us count the ways.

Lagoon looks bad. The colours are dismal and the drawings much, much too simple. There have been many superior 8-bit offerings. The animation is also poor; several frames appear to be missing from each character's movements. The only positives are the decent size of your character and some of the enemies, and the boss designs. The last boss, the phoenix-like creature, is especially exciting -- though in appearance only.

The music is far from memorable, and is sometimes downright depressing. Sound effects in this game can best be described as 'dinky'. The combined look and sound of the game's dungeons will beckon you to the bright outdoors, and away from your SNES and the oppressive tedium that the game shackles you with. Never mind that it's ten at night and raining.

And my goodness, how Lagoon plays. The 'sword' that you wield is little more than a potato peeler. Its range is excruciatingly limited, and that coupled with inane collision detection makes for horrible battles. The fact that excessive level building is necessary to advance pass the difficult bosses, simply exacerbates an already frustrating fighting experience. The bosses have very simple patterns, yet take ages to dispatch if you're not leveled up (and you won't be!). In fact, the game moves so slowly on the whole, that you might well mistake the next action-RPG you play for Sonic the Hedgehog.

Does Lagoon have any redeeming qualities? If you have to play every action-RPG to come down the pike -- like me -- then I suppose it has one: it's an action-RPG. Otherwise, as a SNES player, play anything else. Zelda III, Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, Brandish, Brain Lord and even Terranigma are far superior examples of the sub-genre for this system.

I take back what I said to begin. There is a happy ending. If this review dissuades you at all from playing Lagoon, feel happy, and above all, grateful. And about my imaginary court proceedings? Kemco would have settled. Make sure you don't.

Masters's avatar
Staff review by Marc Golding (January 13, 2004)

More Reviews by Marc Golding
My Hero (Sega Master System) artwork
My Hero (Sega Master System)

You play the role of The Hero, but you look like Edward Carnby, specifically from Alone in the Dark 2, right down to the blue leisure suit and pitiful death sequences. You are the strapping, golden-domed captain of the football team, enjoying a sunset with your prudish girlfriend on the beach, besotting her with...
Silent Hill HD Collection (Xbox 360) artwork
Silent Hill HD Collection (Xbox 360)

I am not enamoured of any two old games slapped together (just Silent Hill 2 and 3 in this case) being called a “collection” in the first place, especially given how easily Silent Hill 4: The Room (of the same ‘era’) could have been included for more value if not quality. Moreover, the third instal...
Silent Hill: Downpour (Xbox 360) artwork
Silent Hill: Downpour (Xbox 360)

Some might argue that the canon was lost once it left the hands of its original developers; since that time it has been passed from studio to studio, each with ingenuous intentions of making the first ‘next gen’ standout. Regrettably, that still hasn’t happened.

If you enjoyed this Lagoon review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Lagoon is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Lagoon, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.