Microcosmum: survival of cells (PC) artwork

Microcosmum: survival of cells (PC) review

"Simple flash game, good to play in small chunks before work. Or procrastinate during."

Ever since I learned about the Battle of Thermopylae (The battle depicted in the movie "300") when I was in high school, I took to creating my own little chokepoint battles in doodle form when I was bored in class (Read: Most of the time). I would draw bases, heavy units, and split teams between Red and Blue (Per my pen colors). After that, I would draw dots as the troops and feint lines marking their "shots" while X-ing out deceased troops.

I found a game like this on Kongregate and that was good fun, and now I'm happy to drop five dollars in what is basically a graphical representation of my imagination, circa ~2005.

This game is basically what was going on in my head, only depicted as "Cells" rather than armies.

A great in-between game, not something you spend an entire sitdown session doing. It's great during loading screens, queue times on your chosen MMO, or simply find yourself with not much to do the hour before leaving for work. I wouldn't fault anyone for getting it on sale but if you're like me and use the 1 dollar per Hour metric of gaming quality, then this will likely do the job.

The only fault is a very brief learning curve when you figure out that the best strategy is charging up your beginning cell, avoiding conflict. If you can make it to a level 3 cell before your enemies do, then you're pretty much set as you'll have all the pixels you'll need to both defend yourself, and begin absorbing neutral cells. I've cleared dozens of levels by doing this with only a couple of times I would refer to as "Close calls".

Zydrate's avatar
Community review by Zydrate (August 06, 2017)

Zydrate is most active on Steam and Tumblr.

More Reviews by Zydrate [+]
Black Desert Online (PC) artwork
Black Desert Online (PC)

Every function in this game is hidden behind a wall of inconvenience.
Poly Towns (PC) artwork
Poly Towns (PC)

A city sim in its most basic, larval form.
Of Guards And Thieves (PC) artwork
Of Guards And Thieves (PC)

A chibi call of duty.

If you enjoyed this Microcosmum: survival of cells review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!

Nightfire posted August 13, 2017:

Another one of your Steam reviews, this one being two years old. It's not up to your usual fare, and that's something to be proud of. Still, I gotta judge this one on what I'm seeing right here and now. Unfortunately, I didn't get a full picture of what this game does. The cells shoot at each other? They're arranged into teams or something? They level up? That's about all I gathered here...
Zydrate posted August 13, 2017:

Yea I wasn't submitting this one to win any rewards.
Flaw in the review: I never explained what the game actually was. OOPS.

The game:
You start out as a cell under a variety of circumstances. You generate smaller cells at a various rate depending on upgrades and such. Your main cell (of which you can have many) has three main upgrades that each boost their production significantly. The idea is that if you spend the whole time upgrading your own cell, it leaves you open for attack.
That's the idea. In reality, I've gotten through what is probably 95% of the game just dumping my pixels into the main cell at the start of every game to reach level 3 as quickly as possible.
There have been some levels that added a degree of difficulty over time. They patched in many more and I couldn't do most of those, but for the first hundred levels or so, that one strategy beats all.

© 1998-2017 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Microcosmum: survival of cells is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Microcosmum: survival of cells, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.