Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Xbox 360) artwork

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Xbox 360) review

"Lost in Nightmares will take hardly more than an hour to complete, and itís really only a worthwhile investment if you really want to know how Jill got into the predicament that cast her as a Excella Gionneís personal bodyguard. Fighting the Guardians of Insanity, hulking grotesques armed with giant cudgels, feels more like something out of Silent Hill than Resident Evil, and putzing through a much-watered down version of the Resident Evil 1 mansion really only makes me realize that itís better to just go play that game instead."

As I noted in my Resident Evil 5 review, the main game is pretty good. It was so good, in fact, that Capcom released a variety of different extras for it after its initial release. This led to Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, which is the exact same game as the non-golden (pewter??) version of Resident Evil 5, only now it boasts all of the extra content you would have to purchase individually on Xbox Live without having to now actually buy it through Xbox Live. The caveat is that not all of said content comes pre-downloaded on the disk. Donít buy Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition pre-owned! Otherwise you probably bought some download codes that the previous owner already used!

If you can get past the illogical decision of having to enter codes to download what should already be packaged on an actual disk, then youíll probably find this to be the best version of Resident Evil 5 to own . . . assuming you donít already own the original version (otherwise, just download the extra content you want because you wonít be saving any money buying two versions of the same game). What does Gold Edition allow you to download that you wouldnít have access to on your plain pewter version, you dare ask? See below.

Lost in Nightmares

Set three years before 5, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine find themselves at the Spencer Estate in an ill-conceived quest to stop a wheelchair-bound Ozwell E. Spencer from performing nefarious deeds. Whatís supposed to be nothing more than a simple a super simple mission goes horribly awry when none other than Albert Wesker appears out of the woodwork. Having played Resident Evil 5, you will know that itís not possible to kill Wesker until heís half-submerged in molten lava, cursing Chrisí name to oblivion. Thereís no molten lava here! But in all seriousness, this extra content will expand upon the flashbacks that occur in Resident Evil 5 when Chris reminisces about Jill and her sandwiches.

It also acts an homage to the original Resident Evilís mansion by recreating a decent portion of it and even allowing you to set the camera angle to bring back the nostalgia of having more difficulty fighting the controls than fighting the undead. Furthermore, the tiring door opening sequence is back for every door you must go through. Iím pretty sure I didnít miss that in the newer renditions that the series had to offer.

Desperate Escape

Similar to the Ada Wong DLC in Resident Evil 4, Desperate Escape has you playing through Resident Evil 5, only now through the perspective of a resuscitated Jill Valentine and Josh Stone as they try to Ė get this Ė desperately escape. And before they can succeed in doing that, they have to shoot their way through quite a few Majini hordes, go through some new areas, and lament at the loss of a faceless BSAA West African Branch dweeb.

I like Desperate Escape more than Lost in Nightmares because it feels more like Resident Evil 5 than some half-baked homage. Itís still a breeze to go through; it took less than an hour for me to complete, but it felt more enjoyable because the Majini hordes were relentless and never stopped coming. In Lost in Nightmares I felt that I could creep through the underground catacombs to try and entrap a Guardian into Chrisís inviting shotgun. Here, you canít stand still otherwise you will get eaten. There are always more baddies to deal with just around the corner.

Just like Lost in Nightmares, youíll need to manually download this piece of content from Xbox Live after you input a lengthy code that comes with your copy of the game. Thankfully, you donít have to do that for the remaining extras.

Mercenaries Reunion

Resident Evil 5ís regular version already comes packaged with Mercenaries, and sadly Mercenaries Reunion doesnít differ from regular Mercenaries in any way other than it allows you play as different people or utilize different costumes. It sounds a little bit underwhelming, but playing Mercenaries Reunion just makes me realize how much I enjoyed playing regular Mercenaries anyway, and the fun just gets re-acknowledged when you go through some of the more interesting maps as Barry Burton or Rebecca Chambers.

Besides, who doesnít enjoy the frantic pacing that Mercenaries Reunion employs? Itís almost awe-inspiring to witness roundhouse kicking a Cerberus midair, to then disintegrating an encroaching Majini with buckshot to the brain, to then turning around to take out a band of lickers with a well-placed grenade, and get rewarded with a hefty chain bonus for doing it.

Versus Mode

While Versus Mode came out prior to any of the other DLC offered in Gold Edition, Capcom figured to include it on here, too. There are four different modes to try out: Slayers, Team Slayers, Survivors, and Team Survivors.

In Slayers, the goal is to get the highest score in the allotted amount of time by killing Majini and, if necessary, the other players in your game. Dying causes you to lose points. For Team Slayers, itís the same basic concept as Slayers, only here you have a teammate. Itís difficult to fathom, I know.

On the other side is Survivors. Again, try to get the highest score before the clock runs out, but to do that itís best to kill the other players roaming around on the map. If you die, you lose points. This makes for some pretty hairy battles, and adding a teammate to the mix only makes it better.

Four New Costumes

Clearly the main attraction. Now you can see Chris dress up as a Zebra or Sheva dress up as a scantily clad Amazonian. To some, this may be the most appealing asset if you catch my drift.

. . .

So there you have it. Thatís what you can expect to find on Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition. None of the parts can really survive on their own, but as a whole they make a decent load of extra content. Of course, the real reason to ever get this game would be to play Resident Evil 5, but what do I know?

Fiddlesticks's avatar
Community review by Fiddlesticks (July 15, 2012)

More Reviews by Fiddlesticks
Super Mario Bros. (NES) artwork
Super Mario Bros. (NES)

I donít like it. I donít like Super Mario Bros. The original one. The one that everyone waxes over as that magical game that got them into gaming . . . or that advanced gaming beyond the wastes of Atari . . . or the game that brought color to black and white, changed Coke into Pepsi, caused Atlantis to submerge into th...
Plants vs. Zombies (Xbox 360) artwork
Plants vs. Zombies (Xbox 360)

The cob cannon is a thing of beauty.
Halo 4 (Xbox 360) artwork
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)

343 really does a good job of illustrating emotion and feeling between Master Chief and Cortana. I wholeheartedly mean that. A more amateur take on the dynamic between Master Chief and Cortana would lead to their relationship feeling as cheesy and forced as my making light of the situation above. But through subtle ...

If you enjoyed this Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition review, you're encouraged to discuss it with the author and with other members of the site's community. If you don't already have an HonestGamers account, you can sign up for one in a snap. Thank you for reading!